Ho Mantua

prof100

Hi:

I have a 0-4-0 Mantua Steam engine and tender that are connected. It will run if I hold a wire on a wheel and the other wire under the tender body. How must I get it to run on a HO layout. Stamped number under the engine is 3959. Thanks for any help.

Brian

Jim Krause

Have you cleaned your track and wheels? There are several threads here on the gauge dealing with your problem. Is your 0-4-0 an older model? I had one of those about 55 years ago. Had to run it with a car battery since we didn't have electricity.

Ray Marinaccio

Welcome to The Guage Brian,
Cleaning your track and wheels is a good place to start as stated above.
If that isn't the problem check for corrosion on the tender truck sideframes and where the tender trucks mount to the frame. Also make sure the metal wheels on the tender trucks are on the correct side. (opposite side as the wheels picking up current on the locomotive.)
I have also seen the insolation break down between the rim and driver centers on the insolated drivers of these locos causing a dead short when it is on the track.
Let us know what you find.

prof100

Mantua 0-4-4

Thanks guys got it running. Power comes to one wheel of the engine and the front set of wheels on the tender . That was messing me up. By the way it is a heavy little engine are they by any chance brass. Thanks.

Brian

Most likely ZAMAC - (Zinc Aluminum Metal Alloy Casting...somebody correct me if I got that wrong...I'm mostly sure that's what it stands for). Is the tender body metal or plastic?

Galen

Jim Krause

Mine was Zamac. a very common casting material at the time I was young. That was right after they stopped making models from stone.sign1

Solid cast metal boiler and a cast metal tender makes it pretty early. I highly recommend the aforementioned links to learn more. Dan with Yard Bird Trains also sells replacement motors and parts for your engine. I have one just like it, except the tender shell is plastic. It's an ongoing detailing project I hope to get back to soon, once I get my workbench setup again.

Galen