HO layout for newbie

crawford

Here are the demensions of the space I have to construct my railroad. Could use some ideas for a trackplan. I wanting to model 40's through 50's steam. Using code 80 atlas track minimum 22" raduis curves. Would like a little grade 2% if possible.Continious some switching. Maybe a cole mine. Also freight and passenger train.http://
myhoworkbench_826181.bmp

Triplex

I'm a little unclear on some of the dimensions.

One thing I am sure of: A 5' wide layout against a wall cannot be accessed. However, you will presumably need wide areas at least for turnback curves, so some sort of access provision is in order...

crawford

Let me see if I can explain what I have. This is a ten by twenty building with a divider wall. On the right side of the sketch is my work shop. In the space on the lower right I already have a small layout that I set up for my son it is 4' 2 1/2" X 7' 4". Im wanting to add a 10" shelf around the rest of the room over the top of my workbench it will need to be 43 1/2" high to give me room to work on other stuff. I would like to have a 2% grade from my current layout around to the divider wall. I then plan to go through the wall to the other room. On the left side I have room for 5'x6' bench joined with a 31" wide x 6' 8" long bench. On the 5'x6' bench I could go another foot on the 6' side. I thought of using a duck under for access. Thats what i have on my current layout. Hope this is not to confusing Im new so bare with me.

Crawford

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Lots of questions...

• Do you have to work with the banches that are there?
  • Is the existing layout (for your son) "untouchable"?
  • What is the track plan for that layout? Can it be easily tied into your future layout? Does it meet the minimums you have set for the rest of the layout?
  • Can your workbench(es) be changed or moved?
  • Is the wall across the middle permanent?
  • What other uses must this 10x20 space support? (e.g. woodworking? model desk? storage?)

and for the layout itself, you say you want:
  • post-WW2 steam
  • Code83 (I assume you meant 83) track
  • coal mine
  • switching
  • continuous running
  • minimum 22" radius

What is the "prototype" location you have in mind? What sort of industries do you want to model?

Take a look at the "Givens & Druthers" form (link in my signature) to see if that might help you organize your thoughts some more. There are all kinds of track plans that will fit this space, it is just a question of finding the right one for you (and your son ;)).

I have found that planning from the era/industry/location perspective to be a lot more useful than trying to find a trackplan that will fit the space. Once you have the requirements for the industries and other features you want (yard, interchange, whatever), the rest of the plan is really stringing those selected industries together.

Hope that helps.... Keep up the discussion! And Welcome to The Gauge!

Andrew

crawford

• Do you have to work with the banches that are there?
  • Is the existing layout (for your son) "untouchable"?
  • What is the track plan for that layout? Can it be easily tied into your future layout? Does it meet the minimums you have set for the rest of the layout?
  • Can your workbench(es) be changed or moved?
  • Is the wall across the middle permanent?
  • What other uses must this 10x20 space support? (e.g. woodworking? model desk? storage?)
The bench in my workshop will have to be used. In the other room I have not consructed any work benches yet.
The existing layout is not untouchable it has a duckunder with 2'x2' hole for accessability.
The trackplan now is just a basic oval the one that comes with a train set. In the middle of that is onother oval with to sidings but i plan to replace all of this.
The bench in the workshop can not be changed but I have a little more space in the new room to work with.
The wall is permenant.
In my workshop the space also supports modeling desk and storage for modeling supplies.In the other room the wall with the door I have my tool box and ten inch table saw taking up space.
Sorry to change right off but a logging layout will seem easier I no nothing about coal opperation. Im not modeling any certain railroad or location. What I have in mind was mountenes ( spelling) area for logging operations a small town with a sawmill for its industry the town would have a train station for passenger operations. Maybe if there is room a two bay train servicing facility with a turn table. Hope this helps.

Crawford

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
I meant is the 4x7 layout for your son "changeable", or does it have to remain unaltered (i.e. in its current form)?

While you have room for big benches in the left room, I would not suggest that you try anthing like the 5x6 foot bench. It will be difficult to reach to the back, and that's undoubtedly where you will have the most derailments...! ;)

Would it be possible to move the table saw and tools into the right side, and use the entire left side for the train room? This would help with three things:

1) You'd keep any sawdust making equipment separate from the trains.
2) You would not have to go through the walls.
3) Avoid having to incorporate an existing bench.

As far as coal versus logging, a bit of research is easy enough to do, and will help you get a handle on the industries.

Coal hauling roads are pretty "dedicated" in that they often move coal from mine to a single large customer (or customers). This can be nicely modelled with the "loads in-empties out" scheme. A different aspect of this in your chosen time frame (circa WW2) is the local coal dealer who sold coal for household heating. By 1950 this was in severe decline due to switching to fuel oil, but the local coal dealer may have added this to his available products, along with cement, salt, gravel, or any other bulk commodity as his business was set up to handle bulk loads.

Logging involving trains was generally in decline by this point too, as roads got better, and trucks did too. Not to say that it did not exist. If you'd like to look at some great logging layouts, google "Paul Templar" and look at his work in a variety of scales.

Your idea for a small town with a sawmill, passenger station, and engine servicing sounds great. Did you want to focus on western or eastern logging. The western might afford more opportunity for mountains, but the eastern terrain (New England) was/is pretty hilly too...

Andrew

crawford

Yes the 4x7 is changeable. I will see if I can move the saw and tool box. If so I will post the deminsions of the left room. What would a good era for logging I dont really have to use the post ww2 era. I plan to get trains to fit what ever era I decide.

Thanks crawford

cidchase

Hi Crawford, welcome to The-Gauge!!:wave:
You mentioned the need for access, is this roughly what you
have/propose? I shrunk down the 36" width to 30", seems
to be a de facto maximum. Even though you may be able to reach
across the 36", it's very taxing to work extended and bent over like that,
and you have a good chance of crunchin' scenery or trains in the front
while you're workin' in the back!:D :D

You have a terriffic room there for a long run! Best of luck:wave: :) :)

Runnin' steam?? train97

Attachments

• myhoworkbench3.JPG
    myhoworkbench3.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 219

crawford

Thanks sidchase. Yes this is roughly the demensions I have. How wide is the access hole you drawed into my plan.

cidchase

2' x 2' on the right, I think that was what you said but it may not
be located correctly. On the left, 2' x 5'. Of course, this is up to you!!