HO guage log loader car

Graham Hoffman

Apr 17, 2002
Plymouth, WI
Visit site
I want to scratchbuild a couple of logging flat cars that have rails on them for a log loader. Does anyone have a set of plans for such a car or know where I can get some? Even a couple of photos of a prototype would do.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Graham, I'm pretty sure that I've seen the cars that you are looking for in the Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette but I can't tell you what issues 'cause I just don't know.:( but you can research that on the trains.com mag index. Hope this helped.

Graham Hoffman

Apr 17, 2002
Plymouth, WI
Visit site
Thanks guys. I'll check the gazette. I have the Barnhardt loader but I wanted to place it on a car different than the one IHC sells with it. They have the ones I want to make them at Cass, WV and I was there last Sept. but didn't get any photos. Dumb!!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Graham,
The IHC flats are actuall pretty close to the Cass/Mower flats. I got a pair, and removed the "wood" deck, and added rails. They need a lot of work before they are done, what's in the picture is just temporary.
Also, Madacy entertainment's "American Steam a vanishing era"/ "Cass and Mower logging trains" video, not only has some excellent shots of the flats, but Shay video to drool over.
Pete

Attachments

• logflat.jpg
    logflat.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 216

Graham Hoffman

Apr 17, 2002
Plymouth, WI
Visit site
Thanks sumpter. I think that the flats at Cass were more of an open frame. That's what I want to make. Regarding the Madacy video, I bought it whan I was in Cass, and it was pretty good, altho the quality I thought was poor. Several weeks later I bought Green Frog's video on Cass, and lo and behold, it was identical to Madacy's, but with much better quality. It was quite eveident that they were the same tapes, so I called Green Frog and was told by the president that they actually sold the rights of their film to Madacy, but were unaware that they were going to market it. Bottom line was that it would've been impractical for them to sue Madacy. I sent the tape back and asked for a refund, but of course, never got it. You live and learn.

stagingyards

Jan 21, 2006
I don,t know if it is a flat car logger you are interested in but I have cars with loggs on then I can send you a pic but you will need to give me your addy first then I wiil send they are about 4" in length and have 4 or 5 logs on then just let me know

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
You dont need a plan. google up some actual pics ahd go from there.

Paint the flat and glue a set of rails to it. Spray it all over with dull coat.

I made just that this week.