Ho gage newbie, new to the forum, asking for tips

so basically I could get a little wiring...a dcc system for the whole thing, for about the same price? I dont even know how to setup dcc even when I get it....

Where should I start?

Yes, you need to affix flex track, but that's no big deal. You can do that with silicone caulking, and with the caulking it's easy to tear up the track with a putty knife and re-do if you are not satisfied with the result.

As far as DCC goes, the wiring is far simpler than doing block/cab control with straight DC. It's the programming of the DCC system that some people have difficulty with. If you are savvy with computers I'd say DCC programming should be relatively easy to learn.

Hope this helps.

how much would dcc cost for 3 locos, and this track layout?

Jim - if your not going to help just dont even post at all, (by the way im using my old track i have from about 5 years ago from a train set from toys r us, I dont think i have ANY directions at all)

unless u specify what directions ur talking about anyway...

Jim Krause

prodigy: The comment about reading the directions is very basic help. You would be surprised how many people don't read the directions first. Including adults.

Jim Krause said:
prodigy: The comment about reading the directions is very basic help. You would be surprised how many people don't read the directions first. Including adults.

As I said.... WHAT DIRECTION...
I HAVE NOTHING, NADA, NINCH! NNNNNNNNNOTHING!!!!

I think Jim was probably referring to the manuals that will come with any DCC system you purchase.. There is indeed a learning curve with programming a DCC system, and reading the manuals that comes with it usually goes a long way.

Anyway, you would probably need to spend around $300 or so for a DCC system, which includes a command station, (the "CPU" of a DCC system), a power booster (the power supply), one throttle for each train you want to operate (the input devices), and each locomotive needs to have a DCC decoder (the output devices) onboard.

The wiring couldn't be simpler.. The throttles and power booster plugs into the command station via their own cables and jacks, and the command station has two wires which you connect to the tracks to deliver power and the digital command signals to the locomotives. You can also wire accessories like remote control turnouts and structure lighting into the DCC system, but that can always come later after you got the trains up and running.

To get more reliable power/signal delivery, you can also improve the wiring by instituting a feeder system, but that's another discussion.

Hope this helps.

The Bachmann EZ DCC system has both the command station and one throttle packaged together in one unit. I haven't used that system before so I don't know how expandable it is (don't know how many additional throttles you can plug into it, or how you can add additional power boosters if you need more power). Keep in mind you need one throttle for each train you want to run.

You might want to post in the DCC forum to ask those specifics-- We do have quite a few Bachmann EZ DCC users on this forum who would be able to answer your questions on that particular DCC system.

As far as your locomotive goes, you should look at the original packing box it came it. Does it say "DCC READY" or "DCC ONBOARD" on it? Keep in mind DCC is a recent development, and older locomotives are usually not DCC-ready and requires soldering (i.e. changing the wiring) to make it DCC-compatible.

Hope this helps.

LongIslandTom said:
The Bachmann EZ DCC system has both the command station and one throttle packaged together in one unit. I haven't used that system before so I don't know how expandable it is (don't know how many additional throttles you can plug into it, or how you can add additional power boosters if you need more power). Keep in mind you need one throttle for each train you want to run.

You might want to post in the DCC forum to ask those specifics-- We do have quite a few Bachmann EZ DCC users on this forum who would be able to answer your questions on that particular DCC system.

As far as your locomotive goes, you should look at the original packing box it came it. Does it say "DCC READY" or "DCC ONBOARD" on it? Keep in mind DCC is a recent development, and older locomotives are usually not DCC-ready and requires soldering (i.e. changing the wiring) to make it DCC-compatible.

Hope this helps.
thanks,
my loco is somewhat older so i doubt it has it :p....

Russ Bellinis

Normally you won't get the instruction booklet for a dcc system until you buy the system. The booklet comes with the system. For any dcc system you are interested in, you can often go to a manufacturer's web page and find the booklet on a pdf file. You can also order the booklets separately for a reasonable fee. I think you should post your qustions in the dcc forum, and get responses there to help narrow down your choices. Once your choices are narrowed down, read instruction manuals before you buy even if you have to order them separately. An instruction manual is a lot less expensive than buying a system that isn't right for what you want to do.

Russ Bellinis said:
Normally you won't get the instruction booklet for a dcc system until you buy the system. The booklet comes with the system. For any dcc system you are interested in, you can often go to a manufacturer's web page and find the booklet on a pdf file. You can also order the booklets separately for a reasonable fee. I think you should post your qustions in the dcc forum, and get responses there to help narrow down your choices. Once your choices are narrowed down, read instruction manuals before you buy even if you have to order them separately. An instruction manual is a lot less expensive than buying a system that isn't right for what you want to do.

already have, thanks anyway...

btw I 99% sure im going to use flex track.