HO Doors

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Ive been building structures like a mad man, but ive hit a stumbling block. While I am finding HO windows readily available (and quite reasonable in price) I cannot find anything for HO doors. Ive come close with garage doors, but nothing for residential size. I inquired about them at my LHS and the guy told me they were impossible to find. He couldnt even special order them for me.

Anyone have any links that could maybe help me? Im just looking for a basic house door (possibly with frame)

As always, thanks for the great help! You guys rock!

TJ

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Has your LHS heard of the Walthers Catalog?? Many companies, including Grandt Line, make door and window castings of various sizes.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
jetrock said:
Has your LHS heard of the Walthers Catalog?? Many companies, including Grandt Line, make door and window castings of various sizes.

Thats what I thought! I mean, I knew Grandt Line made some great stuff, but he told me he could only order me the door frames, not the doors themselves. However this guy didnt seem like the sharpest knife in the drawer either. Oh well, now that I have the Grandt Line website I know exactly what number to tell him to order!

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
The Grandt Line doors are good, as noted, and I believe Tichy makes several styles, with more to come. Some Walthers kits also come with extra, or optional, doors and windows,many of which can be modified for other uses.
When I built the P&M Languay Co., the large structure in the rear, using most of two Walthers waterfront warehouse kits, I had two complete sets of windows and doors left over.

100_5914.jpg

I used them in this station/express building/post office complex (the large structure in the rear, again). The main change was to remove the arched sections from the tops of most of the windows. The rest of the building is scratchbuilt.

100_5437.jpg

Wayne

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Another possibility is to scratch build some doors. If you want to simulate a flat solid core wood door, a piece of bass wood or balsa cut to the correct size with a hat pin for a door knob will work. If you want more detailing in a door, you can start with a flat piece of basswood or balsa cut to the correct size, and then cut out thin pieces and glue them on to make details. Clear plastic will make windows, and frames would not be all that difficult to cut out of thin wood stock. Styrene could also be used instead of wood, if you prefer to work with plastic.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
Russ Bellinis said:
Another possibility is to scratch build some doors. If you want to simulate a flat solid core wood door, a piece of bass wood or balsa cut to the correct size with a hat pin for a door knob will work. If you want more detailing in a door, you can start with a flat piece of basswood or balsa cut to the correct size, and then cut out thin pieces and glue them on to make details. Clear plastic will make windows, and frames would not be all that difficult to cut out of thin wood stock. Styrene could also be used instead of wood, if you prefer to work with plastic.

Ive been experimenting with this, thanks for the extra tips!