HO copper water tower rings?

ExtremePCs

Jan 22, 2006
Anyone know how I would go about making copper water tower rings (HO scale)? Or are they available for purchase? I'm afraid if I cut them out of sheet copper that they will not turn out well, but I'm willing to try :) I want to scratch build a water tower out of wood and copper.

Thanks!

Fluesheet

Jan 22, 2006
Central Ohio
I don't know for sure, but I'd think that there is copper foil available out there - throw in a paper cutter and that might just do the trick.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
If the paper cutter does not work properly or you don not have one, use a sharp knife and a ruler to cut the copper foil (if it is thin enough). You should be able to cut very fine strips this way.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Are you trying to represent something specific? I ask because I have not come across this before...

Most bands are actually steel rod connected by turnbuckles (usually three or more around the circumference of the tank). They are round in cross section, not flat like the hoops on a barrel.

On the tank I built, I used heavy thread to represent the rods.

Good luck, and post a pic if you can!

Andrew

Hodgy

Feb 20, 2006
Maine
copper bands

you could try to find some copper welding wire off a welder, it comes in a spool. may do the trick

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
You could use the soft brass wire offered by Detail Associates if you want to do it as rods. I think that Grandt Line makes the band tighteners (turnbuckles) in styrene.
If you want to use the band idea, try cutting strips of good quality writing paper using a new blade in your X-acto. My Dad used this technique on a water tower that he built almost 50 years ago, from an article in Model Railroader. He brush painted them with Floquil before applying them to the tank. The tank still looks good after all those years, and I'll be using it in the first town on the new extension, when/if I ever get the second level of my layout built.

Wayne