ho bolster screw size

Gary60s

As an N guage guy I know nothing about HO, but I am building an HO car for a friend and need to know the screw size for the bolster. According to NMRA standard for the RP-23, the screw size is #2-56.
Is this the screw size that most of you use? Think he's going to use Athearn trucks.

Pooh Bah
I use it.
However, most kits have a little piece like short tubing that goes from the body bolster into the track bolster and the screw goes into this -- that keeps the screw from being done up too tight and keeps the screw threads from rubbing on the truck bolster.
So a 2-56 screw by itself probably won't be enough to fill the hole.
Mantua used to provide a screw with an extra wide head; their truck hole was bigger and the body "tubing" was a bit thicker.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
As an N guage guy I know nothing about HO, but I am building an HO car for a friend and need to know the screw size for the bolster. According to NMRA standard for the RP-23, the screw size is #2-56.
Is this the screw size that most of you use? Think he's going to use Athearn trucks.

I have to thank Gary for building this car for me. To answer you question/comment about what trucks Ill be using, your right about me using Athearn trucks :thumb: :mrgreen:

Thanks again man :cool:

Russ Bellinis

Athearn trucks are made to fit a #2-56 screw. I think the kits actually have a self tapping sheet metal or wood screws included for the trucks, but I tap them for #2-56 when I build one.