HMS Victory, Shipyard, 1:96

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
For the decorative strips I cut first a stripe off cardboard and stick it on a baseplate.

bild077rx0.jpg

With diluted white glue I form a fillet weld.

bild078ff9.jpg

Now the baseplate is cut in such a way that by the original stripe remaining only more a narrow bar. The new cutting edge was soften again with a double layer of diluted white glue. But this work I did with a flat brush.

bild079pz5.jpg

After drying I painted it black and cut the other side. This cutting edge now was not colored but was easy to correct after assembling.

bild080uz4.jpg

Thus this band looks then in the profile.

bild081ft4.jpg

bild082tu7.jpg

-----

At other places of the trunk there are decorations in the form of small spirals. I took a copy of the part and cut it out of the paper in this way.

bild083qh2.jpg

Placing of two small paper strips and a tiny disc of paper on the cut form and hardening all with CA.

bild084jt3.jpg

After some grinding work I painted it again with black color.

bild086sa2.jpg

Now the body (left side) was ready with all of the decorating and it is time to come to the other side - next time.

bild087ep9.jpg

bild088tm6.jpg

bild090zk4.jpg

Servus
Josef

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
That is a good method of making those decorative spirals. It makes them look like real wood and gives them a hand carved look.:thumb:

B

Bionic Modeler

I wouldn't be around long enough to finish this one. man, I can't believe it. I consider myself a pretty good modler but you guys put me to shame. I have the talent to do it but I just don't have the patience. I have ADD and I get bored very quickly. Eventually get back to it and then get bored again. this is the process until it is finished. So calculating the number of interuptions this one would take I figure at my age I would never get it done and it would end up in the trash anyway. I told my sons if they ever throw away my models I will come back.

B

Bionic Modeler

You know the interior formers are so nice that it is a shame to cover them up. I think a cutaway version of this model would be very cool indeed. that way people can see what went into building her. Then displayed along side the full version would help people really appreciate it.

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Thanks to all for their attention to my build of the Victory.

@timhinds ... You're right - this build need a lot of patience ... and you're right too, that the formers look quite good - so perhaps I start a new thread to show the formers of a historical ship in a complaisant look?

Servus
Josef

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Time for the second side. After the experiences with the port side it is possible to explain more details on the starboard. First step was the adjusting of the fenders, which made some troubles on the port side.

bild091sk2.jpg

This time the mounting of the fenders was a fully success.

bild092gk2.jpg

After mounting of the wales the base work for this side was completed.

bild093do8.jpg

-----

Next step were the refinements to the gun port sills.

bild094mh6.jpg

This work was a good exercise for working with two tweezers - I think, this will be helpful when making the rigging.

bild095oz3.jpg

The parts were trimmed with a little grinding machine.

bild096lq8.jpg

The dimensions of the upper and lower slats gave the exact measuring with a divider.

bild097fo5.jpg

Here you can see the before - after effect.

bild098qw1.jpg

-----

The yellow color after airbrushing. The used color has a bad coverage with the need of many layers. Therefore the bad optic against the border of the masking tape.

bild099rx6.jpg

But some tools like this ...

bild100sw8.jpg

... and the bad optic was fore time.

bild101hk5.jpg

I took the base color, some white and black and made a little lighter and darker gradations.

bild102yv6.jpg

For lower edges I used the darker one. Strong diluted and much color on the brush.

bild103bo8.jpg

The upper edges became a dry brushing with the lighter one.

bild104ct9.jpg

The yellow stripes were sealed with parquet floor varnish and after drying I hid them behind a layer of masking tape.

bild105do5.jpg

Then came some action with airbrush and black (or better dark grey) color.

bild106oe2.jpg

After unwrapping the hull you can see wasp look of the yellow and black stripes. Next step is coloring of the gun ports in red - work is just in progress and will need the whole week to finish.

bild107ym6.jpg

Servus
Josef

lriera

Aug 28, 2007
Barcelona - Spain
Josef, I want to give you many thanks for such a master class.

Looking at your thread I feel like at the "University of Paper Modelism".

Again, thank you very much for such a great step by step process. And please, keep doing such a great teaching job.

T H A N K Y O U :thumb: .

fuchsjos

Feb 9, 2005
Austria, Vienna
Hi, Iriera,

Nice, to meet you again and a heartful 'Thank you' - it looks like, you are lurking around in many different forums, like me.

Kindly regards to Spain
Josef

M

Mark_1984

Hi Josef,

This build is absolutely incredible. Your attention to detail is mind blowing.
I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of this build

lriera

Aug 28, 2007
Barcelona - Spain
Hi Josef. Yes, I have been in Paper Modeling for only 6 month now, but I want to absorb as many things as I can, because this hobby have taken all my attention. It's a wonderful one. And the Forums are the best way to learn and share experiences.

So I try to participate in as many as I can.

And is a pleasure to meet you at the Forums, learning what you have the amiability to show us. :thumb:

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.