HMS Victory,How to...........

Discussion in 'Dioramas & Displays' started by JohnReid, Nov 23, 2009.

1. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

How to what? I thought that you guys may like to know the different techniques I used in building my 1/72 Victory diorama.Mine is a little different in that it is a storyboard diorama.It is the only ship diorama that I have ever done and wish I could do more.Other type dioramas have keep me real busy for the last ten years and I still have some promised work to do for the next few years(I am 69).I sure wish that there were digital cameras around in my day so that I could have done a step-by-step build at the time of her construction but this is the best I can do under the circumstances .This thread will concentrate more on the building of the ship itself.
  2. ekuth

ekuth Guest

*camps out and waits*
  3. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Sorry bout that!
    I think that I will start with modifying figures.Stand by.....
  4. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

If you want to put figures on your diorama there are a few decisions that will have to be made early on.Will you be scratch building or modifying pre-made figures or something in between?If your building figures from scratch then any scale that you feel comfortable with is OK.But if your like most of the rest of us you will be modifying figures to suit your needs.There are a lot of great figures out there now but not in all scales.Take a look at great models.com, they have a lot of figures in many scales.There are more and more all the time and I know if ship modelers were using them they would manufacture them if the demand was there.Right now the armour guys have the greatest variety in 1/35 scale because they have been into dioramas for a long time.The airplane guys building in 1/32 scale will sometimes use the armour stuff when they can.Different manufactures do differ a bit so measure them yourself and you may be surprised. Also remember humans,animals and even tools vary in size in real life 1:1 scale.
    I received the Model Expo catalog the other day and was thinking about this thread.There are a few great possibilities.My choice right now would be HMS Vanguard in 1/72 scale.If I had a few thousand extra hours to devout to it ,it would make for a great storyboard diorama either waterline or free standing.There are lots of 1/72 figures available in Napoleonic uniform which could easily be modified to crew the ship.You have a choice to of bare poles,harbor or full sail rig in calm or stormy seas.
    There are other choices too.1/48,1/32,1/24 and even HO for the RR guys and even my current scale 1/16th.Numerous figures are available for all of these. to be cont.....
  5. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Now that we have decided on a scale and have good access to lots of figures we can move on.
    Usually the larger the figure the easier it is to modify but not always.The Napoleonic figures that I used really didn't need a lot of modification, mostly the cutting off of unwanted items of uniform and some re-positioning of heads and limbs.(See Ken's diagram).The same figures that I used on Victory could be used on Vanguard .They are 1/72 scale and very well made.You will have to get familiar with using an xacto knife # 11 blade though ,as sanding only creates a rough and fuzzy surface which is very hard to paint. In fact in some ways a tooled surface looks even better and more like you would expect if your figures were scratch made from wood.I will post a few pics of the figures i used. to be cont.......
  6. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

[​IMG]
    This is a diagram by Ken Hamilton. He has OKd me to use it for teaching purposes.
  7. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

Here is a good selection of 1/72 figures that could easily be adapted to ships crew members.I understand that the same company has a set of Zulu warriors for bare chested individuals.
  8. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

9. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

10. JohnReid

JohnReid Active Member

11. lalo

lalo Member

:thumb: ............ Great conversion. Great customization, Great opportunity ...... Super customization.
    Congratulations. ........ Great collection. ... :thumb: