HMS Savage build

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
HMS Savage bridge

Hi

Dry fit of forward superstructure and bridge.

This is not going to be a fast build quite tricky in places but it all fits extremely well.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Nice build so far you don't need to be fast, it's not a race.
I use it to get rid of the old stress from work!

Does this come as a full hull model as well?

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Jim

I cut it slightly too long and dry fit it then trim as necessary. I join all the strips together first, the ones on Savage have a step in them which gives a good gluing area. Then start at the stern and do one frame at a time look after the deck seam let the waterline wander if needed.

I will take a picture of the other side tomorrow if I can, I had to cut it back slightly so I put the line down the stem with a hard pencil.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Thanks so much, Barry!
You work from the stern forward?
The models I have done are usually done by starting the bow, any dry fitting aft to about midships; the second piece is fitted at the stern, and then dry fitted forward to the overlap. That is where it gets dicely because it is difficult to get a nice, clean joint at the midships. But that is the way the JSC models I have built seem to be designed.
Looking forward to your next set of photos!
Great job, Barry!!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Savage hull sides

Jim

I find the stern most difficult to fix and the bow is easier to hide errors on, I also find it difficult to glue parts as I am fitting them. I like em flat in one long length.

The bow due to my inaccuarcy was just a tad too long so I cut it back and redrew the stem plate line.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Bridge

a couple of general shots you can see there will be an enormous amount of detail. Another shot of pencil line stem plate.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks for posting those photos, Barry!
I hope when I tackle my next ship the bulkwark sides come out as great as yours did!!
It probably goes without saying (and can't be emphasized too often) to take one's time in fitting, matching up pieces, making sure it all fits tight before gluing begins... :)
Looking really, really great, Barry!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Savage locker boxes

I dropped one of the locker boxes and could not find it of course but I had by accident printed the same page on 80 gm paper. I found that I could get a beter edge on the lockers using this weight of paper.

The rather cockled up ventilators at the front of the bridge deck are made out of card, but I intend to make the trunking (lower part) from card and wrap the top around them using 80 gm paper. I think my fingers will manage this better.

I also made the the thin boxes on the bridge sides with 80 gm.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ventilators

Hi

Junkies only I think, the detail on this ship is incredible the ventilator trunks on some of them are almost too small for me to see. Not moaning just getting used to the small sizes they require a lot more care. Anyway I like clutterd decks.

I need to practice more with tweezers I think !! as well as photography.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Basic funnel

Hi

Felt like trying something bigger tonight and set about the basic funnel. It all fits well needs a touch of gray paint. I rolled the base of the funnel as a cone then dampened the back and pulled it into shape over the formers.

In the photo it's just dry fitted.

Oops sorry Ron did yer feet get wet again :lol:

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Funnel

Dry fitted funnel no detail as yet there are a shedloads supplied.

Rob

Just to compare notes this time I took the photos at dusk with only just enough light to see the viewer for some reason it came out better without the overhead lights on.

Well I'm not David Bailey.

Barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

The Photos do look better, I will try this and see what comes out.
Cheers for that.
Looks good, I just might have a go at this one soon.

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi Jim

Packard Bell 400 digital cheapo £105 in UK so if we apply the usual rule on UK imports that should be about $100 .

I built another carley float tonight haven't had time to take a pic, but I used 80 gm paper for the floatation collar and it was so much easier than trying to do this in card. Makes me wonder about building a model from a printed book, although I guess you just scan all the pages in and do it that way.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Thanks, Barry.
As I read the specs on that camera, she is a set focus camera, which I guess means you might have a limit on how close you can get when taking the picture. Seems to be about a meter.

I have a camera similar to that, and I could not get closer than about two feet or it would be out of focus. I found if I take the photo from further out, say about two feet or more it would come out better and then I play with it on Photo Shop to enlarge and crop to get my "close-ups".

Best thing with these digital cameras is they act real well under what would otherwise be low light for regular film cameras. Helps a bit when you forget to activate the flash! :D

Obviously, I need a camera as idiot proof as I can get! :lol:
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Too true Jim what would we do without photoshop it rescues most of my pictures. I still find sunlight is best.

barry