HMS Savage build

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Barry!
Just popping in for a quick look and I see you posted more great photos. Thanks! :D
Probably won't be able to check in again until Monday when things should settle down. :?
Hey, at least the painting is done...for now! :lol:
Great job, Barry!!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Savage depth charge throwers

Hi All

built the last two throwers last night I decided to cut them into their component parts and it certainly is easier than folding them, especially the radiused front edge.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Great set of photos, she is showing the benifit of all the hard work and time you have put in to this. A ship to be proud off.

Look forward to the next lot.

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
stern

Stern bits do not point this tube below this line if you wish to stay afloat equally do not hang your head over the rail if you wish to keep it. More ventilators, winches and bofors barrels left.

Jim

Nice to see you back Jim at least you got your services in the right order electric, broadband then cooker etc!!
Like the avatar.

Rob
I keep drooling over Fuso but..... I like DN's instruction find a 10" skewer and roll a tube around it.

Adriano

You are right I don't sleep much but on this site neither do half the rest of them.

barry

have fun

barry

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Fantastic photos, barry. Savage is looking terrific! :D

Everytime I check this model, it never ceases to amaze me how many little intricate bits there are. If I ever tried to build something like this, I think it'd have me climbing up the walls! :lol:

AJ

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

I think one of the main requirements for beeing a card model nut, is to be an insomniac :lol:

Nearly all my build are done late at night when nothing stirs except mad cats.

Great stuff Barry, some outside shots when the storm goes would be great.

Keep up the great posts

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Savage metal bits

Hi All

This lot is for those challenged by metal and that includes me, any way warts and all. Added the steam pipes to the funnel and the bridge awning rails. At least there is a cardboard top to go on the awning which will hide a lot of blobs. It's quite surprising how heavy Savage is getting.

Rob

I rushed out to grab these because we seem to be waiting for more heavy storms here soon.

Ajax and Jim
Thanks for the kind words

regards

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Nothing wrong there mate, it just takes practice thats all.
I have just e-mailed a paper to Ron on soldering for his input so somthing should be posted soon one way or another.
Try butting the wire together instead of crossing them over each other it will give a better joint and look. Also when touching the iron to the joint try not to have any solder on it, thats what causes the blob effect on the joints.

Its amazing how heavy these things get. When you think of all the parts, glue and metal that goes in to them.

Savage looks great for all the work you have put in to her, its no wonder she looks so good.

And yes its chucking it down just for a change with the thunder in the background :roll:

Look forward to the rest

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Superb photos, Barry!
What blobs? Seriously, the awning frame came out fine as far as I can see. It's funny how when we build we see so many "mistakes" that give us fits, but someone looking at her doesn't pick them up...we know they are there, and that's what gets us going, I suppose.
Anyway, glad you got a few more shots for us...never seems to be enough of this beautiful model.
Keep them coming!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
odd bits of wire

Hi

Added a few more bits to Savage davits(?) for depth charge stern light pole started buildng some of the platform rails very slow job for me but we shall see.

Got my huge magnifier today plus a pair of mag specs it is really useful once you get used to the paper not really being where you think you are looking.

Posted a couple of photos a sort of puzzle find the wire bits.

regards to all

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

The davits have turned out great.

With the build you have done with this you have given me the idea of giving this a go as soon as I have cleared my decks here even though the kit embeds on your system :cry:

Adriano you have come up with a cracker design with tons of detail on this one. I think a pat on the old back is in order.

Keep up the metal work and it will all come together quite quick.

Regards

Rob

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Wow, that really is a lot of metal work, but those davits and the light pole look great, barry!

Thanks for all those closeup pics! :D

AJ

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
More metal bits

Hi

Got adventurous and tried these bits today Searchlight bandstand, Aerial array and the rails round the range finder. Still challenged soldering but it's better than I have managed before however I am an expert at soldering my fingers.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Searchlight platform

Tossed up whether to show this but here it is. At this point my thanks to Rob, Tim and Maurice for the soldering hints at least I had a lot of fun learning to get this far. Great site this you can always get help when you need it

barry