HMS Repulse, Fantom model, 1:300

mOONwOKA

Apr 27, 2005
Lithuania
moonwoka.netfirms.com
Not a week ago i received this model and since i craved for Repulse for long time, i decided to dedicate my first preview to it.

"Fantom model" is a new publisher, again from Poland. The scale is rather unusual - 1:300, but level of details seems to be excellent. It consists of 14 pages of details. But in fact there are 4 more. It says (mind you, that i don't know polish at all) something like "errata, please replace parts from main pages with these". But it doesn't say why. So when (or IF) building it i'll have to compare parts to see what's the difference between them. The print quality is high, and some small details, like different discoloration of wooden deck, is particulary nice touch. Cardstock also looks quite "buildable". Not as thick, as Gomix or recent Halinski, but then again, not as flimsy, as Halinski's Warspite. History and instructions are in polish. Cover art features nice painting by Jaroslaw Wrobel, who is renowned (at least, he must be) by his artwork for Halinski's models, AJ publishing monographies and many more. There are also several pictures of a completed model (color ones only on back cover) and they look very nice. And the price is more than attractive - around 10 bucks from my local dealer. The only bugger for me is it's scale - i don't have that many ships built, but still most of the ships, that i have (both built and unbuilt), are in 1:200. Anyway, that's only a minor nit-pick. I still envy myself and so should you :lol:

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
I believe this model is also available from Gremir Models, but in 1/200 scale:

http://www.gremirmodels.com/

The link to the model:

http://www.gremirmodels.com/hms_repulse.htm

Michael can clarify this, but there's a chance the downloaded version, with the viewer software, allows you to rescale the kit...I'm just not sure if it applies to the ship models, but it does for the aircraft.

Cheers!
Jim

Fantom Model

Aug 1, 2006
I'm "responsible" for this model, so there are some my clarifications:

-I included the errata because there are some shades of lightgray in the most of edition. mOONwOKA, it's is possible that you have quite good copy and you can't see differences for the first look, but in 50%-60% of edition the differences are too big to acceptance. So, if you are lucky, you can use this errata as a reserve of parts.

- scale 1:300 was very popular some years ago, there were many models from Maly Modelarz in this scale. Of course the quality of that models are not so goot for now, but im going to change that :) and revive this scale with the new designed models. For me, the best point of 1:300 is a reasonable size of models. I have built Ark Royal, King George V, Yamashiro, Oktiabrskaja Rewolucija and Repulse in 1:300, and everythig this are put on two, not so big, shelfs. Anyway, it is possible to buy Repulse from Gremir and build in 1:200 scale.

- sorry that description and history is in polish only. But in my idea this model is for polish market mostly. For foreign modellers I'm offering Repulse by GreMir. Anyway I hope that diagrams (63+general plan) from printed edition will be enought for all at least middle experienced modellers. Diagrams are universal language :)

Best Regards & sorry for my english

Artur

mOONwOKA

Apr 27, 2005
Lithuania
moonwoka.netfirms.com
Hi, Artur,

First of all, thanks for great model. Some time ago on this very forum i expressed a wish for Repulse, and there it goes!

As for the scale, buying digital version from Gremir is one option. Alas, i don't have PayPal account so less acceptable, but still an option, is to scan and rescale. Anyway, to make my review objective, i had to include some "nit-pics" but was unable to find many, so i picked scale ;-)

Instructions being in polish is also not something tragic. I have built several older MM models and they usually had very few diagrams. Besides, i know russian (which is also a slav language) quite well and not being braindead am able to figure that "part A goes to part B" from instructions.

So, don't mind my nagging, You did excellent job. And i can't wait to see what's coming next :lol:

P.S. if its' not a secret, maybe some of already created models will be released in cardstock? Royal Navy pppplyyyyyz :eek:ops:

JHS

Oct 18, 2006
Fantom Model you have my congratulations for producing what appears to me to be one of the great paper ship models---the presentation of the laurel wreath will await my finishing the model! I have five observations: (1) it lacks the external degaussing coil which REPULSE carried in Dec 1941, (2) it lacks the large air intakes, two on each side of the aft HADT, which the R had in Dec 1941---these, by the way, are shown on no plans I have seen, but were superbly modeled by Airfix on their 1:600 scale plastic R, (3) it lacks the extended deck house on the starboard side under the aftmost 4" HA gun which had been built to house the King and Queen on the Royal trip to Canada in 1939 (R was relieved of this duty by the international tension of the summer of 1939, but, contrary to all plans, the structure for the Royal apartments was never removed---it is plainly visible in period photos from 1939 until the ship was lost---obviously the added space was appreciated), (4) the HADT platform on top of the foremast was actually a walking space behind a screen, as is visible in overhead views of the ship, and (5) the steel anchor deck fow'd was painted a dark color in pre-war photos---did you find a wartime view showing it in 507C? I am trying to find a plan with the air intakes. I am not annoyed by these omissions since all are relatively easy to fix, and because the model is done to such a high standard. I am eagerly awaiting your next production. I will use this opportunity to beg for an INDEFATIGABLE class battlecruiser from WWI! Thank you!

JHS

Oct 18, 2006
Fantom Model you have my congratulations for producing what appears to me to be one of the great paper ship models---the presentation of the laurel wreath will await my finishing the model! I have five observations: (1) it lacks the external degaussing coil which REPULSE carried in Dec 1941, (2) it lacks the large air intakes, two on each side of the aft HADT, which the R had in Dec 1941---these, by the way, are shown on no plans I have seen, but were superbly modeled by Airfix on their 1:600 scale plastic R, (3) it lacks the extended deck house on the starboard side under the aftmost 4" HA gun which had been built to house the King and Queen on the Royal trip to Canada in 1939 (R was relieved of this duty by the international tension of the summer of 1939, but, contrary to all plans, the structure for the Royal apartments was never removed---it is plainly visible in period photos from 1939 until the ship was lost---obviously the added space was appreciated), (4) the HADT platform on top of the foremast was actually a walking space behind a screen, as is visible in overhead views of the ship, and (5) the steel anchor deck fow'd was painted a dark color in pre-war photos---did you find a wartime view showing it in 507C? I am trying to find a plan with the air intakes. I am not annoyed by these omissions since all are relatively easy to fix, and because the model is done to such a high standard. I am eagerly awaiting your next production. I will use this opportunity to beg for an INDEFATIGABLE class battlecruiser from WWI! Thank you!

Fantom Model

Aug 1, 2006
JHS
Tank you for show the misteakes in my project. I really appreciate for your obserwations. I am collecting all informations like this and I will correct it ... if I return to this model. Now I am spending all my free time with the next model.

About (2) and (3): I found this elements on several photos, but this wasn't drawing on any plan that I have and it wasn't visible enought good on any photo. So I havn't any materials to construct it and I missed it. About (5) - it is probably my fault, I havn't any photo with color of the bow.

HMS Indefatigable - I also think it is very interesting warship, but ... time limitations :( Unfortunetly day have only 24 h. Maybye in the future? For now I'm thinking about some british armoured cruiser from WWI era. In my opinion it is completelly unknown part of Royal Navy. It could be a very interesting to create a group of WWI ships, never projected both in plastic and in the paper. Probably it will not be a comerrcial success, but it doesn't matter. Mostly it is a hobby for me.

mOONwOKA
Sorry, my next model is Japanse Navy ship. But maybye next? :) I will show some photos with my next model ... soon.

JHS

Oct 18, 2006
I wish there existed a set of plans which show those boiler room intakes! A WWI British armored cruiser---wonderful!!!!! Maybe DEFENSE?! Guess what? I found a Japanese aerial photograph from the 10 Dec 1941 battle, and it clearly shows REP's anchor deck still in the pre-war dark color (prob AP507A). I will look it up again and post it here for you! Thank you for your magnificent work. I'll buy whatever you do! By the way, John Roberts has some wonderful plans for the QUEEN MARY battlecruiser in 1:250 scale folded at the back of his BATTLECRUISERS book (still available from US Amazon for $23.00). A 1916 QUEEN MARY would really sell, I'll bet! Cheers and thanks again for your wonderful work!

JHS

Oct 18, 2006
Here is the overhead shot of REPULSE on 10 Dec 1941---she is at the bottom of the frame, just straddled by bombs---note the dark anchor deck:

sinking1.jpeg