HMS Onslow from GreMir Models

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Wow!

Speaking of which, I had a question for all the designers here. How, or what makes you choose a particular ship to design? A lot are obviously historically significant (i.e. HMS Dreadnought, USS Oregon, etc.), but what about ships I have never heard of, like the Onslow here?

Cheers,
Brad

shoki2000

Feb 6, 2004
Tampa, FL - USA
www.gremirmodels.com
I did not design HMS Onslow but spoke with Adrian at length :D
He simply loves British destroyers and as his subjects he chooses the ones which left some sort of mark in the history. For example:
HMS Savage actively participated in sinking of the Scharnhorst
HMS Saumarez took part in sinking of Scharnhorst and IJN Haguro
HMS Onslow fought Admiral Hipper sustaining heavy damage and her skipper received Victoria Cross for his conduct during the battle

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
bholderman said:
Wow!

Speaking of which, I had a question for all the designers here. How, or what makes you choose a particular ship to design? A lot are obviously historically significant (i.e. HMS Dreadnought, USS Oregon, etc.), but what about ships I have never heard of, like the Onslow here?

Cheers,
Brad

USS Oregon? Never heard of her...... What did she do, then?

Mike, I ordered Onslow right then! Thanks indeed from a grateful Brit!!

Tim P

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
bholderman said:
Wow!

Cheers,
Brad

USS Oregon? Never heard of her...... What did she do, then?

Mike, I ordered Onslow right then! Thanks indeed from a grateful Brit!!

Tim P

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Why Eskimo

Well I had a plan of her which was a good start and she was probably the most beaten up of the Tribals to finish the war and apparently gave as good as she got.

This does not make me a designer but I always wanted a Tribal on the shelf.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Why Eskimo

Well I had a plan of her which was a good start and she was probably the most beaten up of the Tribals to finish the war and apparently gave as good as she got.

This does not make me a designer but I always wanted a Tribal on the shelf.

barry

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Shame on you Tim.
You ought to know it was an obscure undernourished American battleship built exclusively to demonstrate just how far behind their naval technology was at the time. However there was a great fuss made when it managed to sail around Cape Horn when it was in a bit of a hurry not to be typical and be late for a war. It achieved actual fame only when DN published a model of it.

Oooops........where'd that highlighting come from....... :roll:

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Shame on you Tim.
You ought to know it was an obscure undernourished American battleship built exclusively to demonstrate just how far behind their naval technology was at the time. However there was a great fuss made when it managed to sail around Cape Horn when it was in a bit of a hurry not to be typical and be late for a war. It achieved actual fame only when DN published a model of it.

Oooops........where'd that highlighting come from....... :roll: