HMS Norfolk Type 23 frigate 1/200

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
underwater hull continued

Hi All

Tried my best to fix the under hull I sanded it and gave it 3 coats of acrylic paint wrong colour I know but I could not face trying to produce that much of a mixed colour one of the reasons why I build cardboard most of the time you don't have to do it.

I filled in the biggest gap with a mixture of PVA glue and talcum powder (only ship with an underwater deodorant) worked well then I got carried away and used it as a surface filler be warned it sets like Roman concrete.

I was delighted that the plates fitted although I should have tried to make them span more than one frame. A tip mark the plate number on the back of the piece half of these seem to be almost interchangeable.

pic04699ll.jpg

First sanding first coat

2nd coat

Not going to improve on this.

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hull sides

Again they fitted better than expected I shall have to trim a little bit at the stern due to not getting the angle quite right. Because I designed the sides to fit over the underwater plates I used Gil's trick of sanding the bottom edge very carefully to blend them in seems to work.

I shall have to add more detail to the towed array deck as the stern ports are so large you can see right in.

Dry run of the deck fitting

looks like the deck angle has worked out right.

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
gun turret

First attempt at the gun turret needs a couple of changes especially to the lid, should be shot for that bit but it is buildable even if you need a third hand. It forms quite well using a blunt knitting needle and a rubber. Luckily there will be a door and a ladder to cover most of the back seam. Just a "little" problem of how to get the gun mounting inside I think it will have to go in through the top with tweezers. The fold lines will have to be brushed out as well.

Maurice sent me a beautiful turret but I think it will need an internal former to give a good base that's the next try and it will need accurate cutting out.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Odd details

Hi All

Just acouple of details the semi rigid dinghy has airbags made from 15amp cable one of the outer sheaths seems to work ok.

The Bofors is a new step for me it's fom 80 gsm copy paper a lot easier to fold in sharp turns.

One of the larger exhaust stacks.

Off on my hols for week taking the Boeing with me.

usual poor pics ho hum!!

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wotcher, bazzer!:grin:

She's coming together very well, indeed!

I like the way the semi rigid boat came out, nice touch using the insulation from wire. Gives it a nice, rounded look which is tough to make (if at all possible) from paper tubes at that small diameter.

Hope you have a nice, relaxing holiday! Of course, we'll all be looking forward to seeing how you're doing on the Boeing Clipper when you get back...no pressure, mate.:wink:

Take care!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
aft mast

Hi All

Time to do a bit more not a lot spent ages on this trying to build it out of seperate bits gave up and made it like an undercarriage oleo roll. It's strong enough to take the rigging

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Looks good Barry. You must have excercised some of you scratch building skills there.

It's coming together quite nicely. The overall ship must be looking close to intact at this point....

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Alright Barry........... between the Clipper and Norfolk.............. do you ever sleep?:grin:

Both are looking good, and I agree with Gil, you are tenacious!

Looking very good on both counts!

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ground clutter baffles

Hi All

Just a few simple bits but they all help

@elb

Yeah as long as you look at it from the right side but there are not that many bits left to test now apart from the wire bits ho hum I hate soldering

@john

Thankyou for the flowers and no I on't sleep a lot and it's better than working, old age has some advantages.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
main arnament missiles

Hi All

This needs repainting so the angles are out in places because I don't want to glue it down until I have made the final one. It looks about right. Needs 3 strenthening bands around the missile tubes

regards

carlmt

Sep 29, 2005
Barry - I take my hat off to you....

This looks like an absolute work of art. I am so looking forward to the release of this kit.

If you still want Dad (Mick Tunnicliffe) to do a 'beta' test - he tells me he is still willing.

i attach a copy of his latest painting of HMS Monmouth - also a Type 23.
regards
carl

Attachments

• monmouth f235.jpg
    monmouth f235.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 283

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Wotcher, bazzer!

She is truly looking outstanding! Knowing what it's like for me to try and design something (so far being relegated to mere re-coloring of existing designs) I really appreciate the speed with which you are creating this beauty. It might seem a slow process to you, but I assure you from where I sit it's coming along quite briskly and so very well.

Keep at it, mate...can't wait to see the next update!

Superb painting, carl!

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Norfolk

Hi All

@Carl

Thanks for the sight of your Dad's painting truly magnificent. Yes still need him to try the model out should not be too long now the biggest problem will be finding all the right files, I am not that organised. Most of the card work is done with the exception of the "chopper" on the helipad.

ps when is your Dad going to be persueded to join here he makes great models.

@Jim

Some days I feel I am going backwards at high speed.

regards

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
general view

I guess this one is for Carl the opposite angle to your Dad's picture and the sun was shining. Just starting on the radomes on the the bridge, still not quite sure how to build the masthead radar but your Dad's picture helped.

best regards

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Lynx Helicopter

Well hopefully actually !! it unfolds so far so good still needs formers fitting and it is not in the right scale as yet. Not really accurate no bulges for the engines in the top fairing but at 1/200 I don't suppose it will that noticeable.

regards

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Wot Ho, bazzer!:)

It is just a pleasure to see how this model continues to move along at a wonderful pace, regardless of how difficult and detailed your design is becoming...now there's this very difficult, small sized helo, which, by the way, looks superb in the 3D rendering. I think you are correct, hardly any one will notice the lack of engine humps at that size...which, by the way, is how big? At 1/200 scale, that's about 5 cm long, or there about? Can't wait to see how the beta build comes out!

Keep at it mate, it just gets betterer and betterer.:grin:

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Lynx test build

Hi All

It worked out at 7.5 cm overall in the end JIm.

This one is built using cornflake packet cardboad and 80 gsm notepaper, a little bit too flimsy at the backend but great at the front. Still another couple of bits to go onto the fuselage and the dreaded how do fix the wheels on. Probably have to push a wire through the cabin and of course the rotors again some wire bits I think.

Spent half the day trying to get to grips with UV mapping in Metseq not a lot of success so far.

Does anyone know the colours these Lynx's were painted if so I would be interested.

On the rest of the ship the top of the foretower mast is just girders and an octogon grid still thinking about that too.

Fingers again

Torpedos are a bit crude still

This one looks better !

@Jim and Elb

Thanks for the comments lads

regards

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Barry..... wow again!

I'm sure other will get you the correct color, but I think that they were a dark blue/grey like what the FAA had toward the end.

Are you going to make the hanger door roll up?:twisted:

john