HMS Norfolk Type 23 frigate 1/200

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Great model Barry, It won't be long before we see paper cuts! I really like this one.

Good show Wun! Got to see some of it over here........ but sadly have been unable to find it again. Hopefully BBC America will start it up again!

Anyone watching the new SciFi Dr. Who? Pretty good I'm thinking!

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Gun

Tim

Never could spell but maybe that was a bit Freudian anyway the damn thing looks like him and it was a great series. Maybe the RN has a bigger sense of humour than we thought.

@John

Thanks mate if it builds as good as it looks in meta I will be well happy.

Pepakura eye view I just liked the pic and it tells far more about the actual model than metase

Select the part you want to check and I get what looks like a jigsaw puzzle must be the way I put the points in

A gentle nudge with cut and join and it comes out quite well in the end

regards

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wotcher, bazzer!:)

It seems that program is pretty particular where you put in the vertex points...glad you were able to work it out so well.

Getting even closer to cutting and gluing, it seems...can't wait!:grin:

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Last long lap

Hi All

It would seem we have got to the detail bits now a myriad of fuse boxes and doors etc and of course the complicated anchor stowage. I suppose I ought to stop here and at least do a test build on the main parts of the model. It will be easier than an aeroplane to build, I think I should stick to ships.

These ships seem to have had all sorts of coloured decks from light brown to dark grey something to decide on later I think, anyway it's textured up. Still got to put in the boot topping, I know that is black.

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Beautiful looking ship, bazzer!

Do you need some references for coloration, such as photographs?
Here are some possible sites:
http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/t23/index.html
http://www.curtistech.co.uk/hmsnorfolk.htm

It seems to me they painted the main deck a dark gray, similar to modern US Navy ships.

I think your work on the Boeing shows you are quite skilled in designing airplane models as well as ship models but, well, you know my preference for ships.:grin:

Let me know if you need more photo references and I'll see if I can come up with a few more.

Cheers!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Wotcher JIm

Any pics are always good from the pictures Carl sent me of the 2005 Festival of the Sea the current decks are as you suggest dark grey. However Norfolk I think was paid off in 2002 and I am not sure of the colour at that time.

regards

carlmt

Sep 29, 2005
Hi Barry,

The decks of all Type 23's are / were dark grey. They are in fact a form of high grip tarmac type material, absolutely impossible to slip over on it!! The rear flight deck markings are white and warning markings on the decks, for example by the launchers under the bridge, are yellow.

You are correct that the boot topping is black. Is this going to be a waterline model or full hull? Something is nagging at the back of my mind about the colour of the anti-foul below the boot topping......will get back to you on that one.

Can't wait 'till release date....this is looking like one sexy ship!!!!!!

Barry....you are to be commended Sir!!!!

regards
Carl

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
First mockup

Needed a rest from anything fiddly so hereis an 80gsm mock up of Norfolks main superstructures happily they appear to fit well. Still have to go back and allow for the thickness of the plates around the deck houses.

Unfortunately in real life i have never seen one of these ships close up Frigate seems to be a bit of a misnomer more like a decent sized world war 2 cruiser. Carl perhaps you will correct me if I am wrong about that.

The pics are poor but they give the impression of the tryout.

Attachments

• PIC_0345.jpg
    PIC_0345.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 165
  • PIC_0346.jpg
    PIC_0346.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 140

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005

I have noted a definite increase in your artistic ability since you started designing your own models, and this latest work is truly outstanding.

Looking forward to more of your work as this project proceeds.

Cheers!
Jim

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
I agree with Jim

Barry......... they say practice makes perfect........... well from what I've seem practice sure makes improvements!:grin: Your skills are developing very rapidly!

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
superstructure tops

Finally remembered to scale the tops to .98 for the wrapround.

@Jim and John

The artistic abiity unfortunately is purely mechanical the better the original drwawing the better the model

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005

Say what you will, I think this is the best work you've done so far in ship model design...so what if you had a bit of help from the original plans, you still had to work it into your template and design, my dear sir, which as I have experienced is no simple feat, to be sure.:grin:

Quite an impressive wire mesh you've made there!

Looking forward to seeing her come to life!

Cheers!
Jim

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
Yeah again I agree with Jim. Good drawings are a big help, but talent comes with knowing what and how to use them!

Maybe I'm not too old a dog to learn this:grin:

john

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Lower bridge house

Hi All

I just had to see if the top and bottom pieces would fit inside the the deckhouse. I will have to take out the fold lines although they hardly show in normal light. Apart from the poor positioning by me it seems to be a success with the switch boxes and ladders added properly it should look interesting. The unit is about 107mm in length.

I've been watching a build on Kartonist.de by Jaroslaw Holdys he seems to build a complete inner shell for each deck house it looks like a good idea plenty of gluing area, might try it next shot. That won't bring me up to his standard though. The thread is well worth looking at goes well with Christoph's Roma.

barry

carlmt

Sep 29, 2005
hi Barry,

I concur with the other fellows following developments - you ARE to be commended Sir!!! This is turning into an achievement and a half!!

Your comments about Type 23's resembling WWII Cruisers is spot on....they are very large, being originally designed as submarine hunters and 'stand-off' picket ships protecting the aircraft carrier squadron.

I have researched some more, and discovered that the hull antifoul is a salmon pink colour with either black or white dive lines. If the model is only to be waterline, then this is not important as it would not be seen (on a calm sea anayway!!!!!)

We await with baited breath the next installment......
regards
Carl

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
general

Hi All

Thanks for the kind words does anyone have a swatch of the antifoul paint.

I intend that the hull will be available as full and waterline.

I am off back to spoil my great grandson talk again in a week

regards

barry

Nov 28, 2005
Fareham UK
barry said:
Hi All
I've been watching a build on Kartonist.de by Jaroslaw Holdys he seems to build a complete inner shell for each deck house it looks like a good idea plenty of gluing area, might try it next shot. That won't bring me up to his standard though. The thread is well worth looking at goes well with Christoph's Roma.

barry

I was intrigued by the use of expanded foam to help shape hulls and sizable structures. This is probably a silly question but can the model be effectively water-proofed? Just found a 1/700th Nimitz paper model...and at 1/350th with Tamiya aircraft (excuse 1) it would make decent R/C model (excuse 2). Heck if paper helicopter fulseages can fly....

Bowdenja

Sep 26, 2005
Madison, MS
That question has been answered, I can not remember but one of the guys did a RC of a USSR Hovercraft and had a mpeg of it scooting across a small man-made pond. He also did a Russian battleship in RC. Caught some grief from a few people who did not understand that he wanted to float it, but from what he did it worked for him. I for one would love to see an RC of a Nimitz Carrier!

I think this is the link to it

http://www.3dpapermodel.com.tw/

hope this helps.

john