HMS Hood - scaled down Halinski 1/250

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood funnels and guns

Hi All

At long last I think I can fix anything else that goes wrong, the guns need a lick of paint in places and the barrels need gluing in place. I added a cross type former inside the funnels to hold the shape better. I also painted the insides of the gun tubs which improved things a bit the main guns could have done with an internal set of formers but I think they will do.

It's taken a while to get to like this model, but I'm getting there now the characteristic shape of Hood is discernable.

hood_38.JPG

hood_39.JPG

Front teeth

hood_40.JPG

hood_41.JPG

barry

bfam4t6

Jun 28, 2004
Olathe, Kansas
The ship is coming along great Barry. You shipbuilders amaze me so much that I been thinking a lot lately about ordering my first ship kit. Since I basically know nothing about ships, I'll probably just buy the one that looks the "coolest" :lol: Anyways, I will continue to watch your build thread. Maybe I will end up building the same kit :wink:

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Wotcher, Barry! :D

My, she is looking better with each update, mate!
I love the look of those big guns coming together, they do provide that distinctive profile, if I may say.

I notice you are using a bit of reinforcement in the construction; is that something you felt the is necessary because of the weight of the paper you are using? What paper did you decide to use in printing out the parts?

Whatever you are doing keep it up, my friend, she's coming along brilliantly.

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
pompom bandstand

Hi

This took forever mainly because I tried to fit the barrels in last again they should be built into the box first I think. Rolling the miniscule barrel thickeners was just about impossible for human fingers and sliding them into place no better, next time it's roll them onto the barrels first.
From a distance they look OK.

hood_42.JPG

hood_43.JPG

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
They came out great, Barry!

Welcome to the world of working in miniature! :wink:

Those guns look brilliant, I don't see any problems that you mentioned. I gather they are built up from two tubes, the after one a bit larger than the barrel itself? Is it all paper or did you cheat like I do and use wire for the smaller barrel, and wrap the recoil tube around that?

However you built them they look fantastic, nice detail work!

Looking forward to more, mate!

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood bow

Added a few bits here and there mainly on the bow section still building ready use lockers. I've decided the forward mast legs need extended so it will be a chance to try some tight rolling in longer lengths.

hood_45.JPG

hood_47.JPG

hood_48.JPG

Lonely looking piece of secondary armour

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood secondary guns

Hi All

Some additions to the secondary guns on Hood, looks like the ready use lockers could do with some better lids. The gun shields fit together very well.

hood_49.JPG

hood_50.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
16 barrel uplifter

almost too much for my eyesight I think. Looked ok until photographed, second pic shows barrels more or less the same length. There did not seem to be a part in the kit to hold the barrels so I made a 4 x 4 sandwich out of card and paper. The first pic gives an idea of the size.

hood_51.JPG

hood_52.JPG

adjusted barrels

barry

rkelterer

Jan 16, 2004
Seiersberg, AUSTRIA
hi barry,

nice pictures :lol: let your eyes rest or use more light 8) i need a lot of light for myself :eek:ops:

cheers from sunny on now rainy on no sunny ..
from austria

raimund

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood fighting top

Hi All

Finally got the masts to meet in more or less the right place in space and they must be square because the fighting top (half built) is just balancing there. When building the bridge for Hood you have to remove the mast sheer legs, glue a deck in place and then replace the sheer legs to check it is still in line because there is a bit of tension in the structure.

@raimund

I think you are right an anglepoise would be nice, another bit for my wish list.

hood_53.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi

Went back to Hood for a change and built the last of the main turrets Hood seems to have given the distinctive profile. The pics are not good again, just an overall impression maybe the sun will shine but somehow it is difficult to capture this ship from any angle but beam on.

PIC_1162.JPG

PIC_1167.JPG

I took off the top of the armour belt because I keep catching it.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Bazzer

Great to see this back on the go, missed it

As we both want a good day tomorrow to do some photo's it will chuck it down for shure :roll:

Looking good and as always MORE

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood

Hi

Look Rob blue sky and that's the only reason for this post. Then the wind got up so it was back inside before she sailed off over the Church.

hood_54.JPG

hood_55.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
B gun vents and breakwater

Hi

Have a change a bit on Hood.

If anyone has built this ship please what vents fit around A gun it just is not shown on the diagram. I am thinking of using painted pins.

hood_56.JPG

barry