HMS Hood - scaled down Halinski 1/250

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood armoured deck

Hi

It is beginning to look a bit more like Hood conning tower and bridge front are fixed the deck is just a check for fit. I think it will need some transverse bulkheads adding for stiffness. The cutout for the access stairs seems to be slightly out but not enough to worry about.

hood_13.JPG

hood_14.JPG

Sorry about he pics.

barry

ehouli

Aug 7, 2004
Caracas, Venezuela
Hello Barry,

Your re-scaling of Halinski's Hood is looking pretty good, and yes... she's beginning to look like Hood :) only things missing is the Prince of Wales, will you think about converting to 1:250 GPM's model? ;)

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
hood upper deck

Hi

The instructions provided with this model do rather leave you feeling like it is a jigsaw puzzle most of the time, so it is pretty slow work. Unfortunately I think DN is right this is the one with the mistakes not big ones but irritating.

Because of my sledgehammer type rescaling the upper deck is in 3 pieces I am sure other people would manage it far better. I added a few extra bulkheads to give a bit more stiffness here and there.

The aft part of the upper deck wall will require cutting and trimming to fit but it should not be too noticeable you just have to check every last piece before throwing glue about.

hood_15.JPG

hood_16.JPG

At least the pics are a bit clearer.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood nameplate

Hi All

It must be Hood it says so on the aft end of the main deck. I had to cut the end wall into 3 and trim the long sides to fit to hopefully keep the steps in the right relative position.

I now have to build 6 ladders and somehow get them at the right angle to glue the upper deck down finally, should be fun.

hood_17.JPG

hood_18.JPG

the upper hull sides are built in 3 pieces to ensure a reasonable fit.

barry

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood armour bulges

Finally covered up the last of the undulating formers on the hull

hood_19.JPG

hood_20.JPG

sorry about the funny colours

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Coming along very well, mate! :D

Are those ladders you mentioned card or wire? Where are they that they might present a problem with the upper deck, or can they be added once the deck is in?

My but she has some very handsome lines, never noticed that before.

Looking forward to more when you can. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood ladders

Hi

A small forest of ladders going nowhere, luckily they fitted into the upperworks without breaking off. Bit of overkill really but it has irked me in the last two models that there were holes in the deck with nothing going down below. Added the first of the bridgedecks (not glued) and found I had to build 6 more ladders.

hood_21.JPG

hood_22.JPG

I did actually reglue the ladder that strayed off to the side !!

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Cool beans, Barry! :D

I often like to enclose the ladder holes with a little box; it helps in keeping the ladder aligned as it descends. I'm glad the one ladder got back in line. :lol:

Did you laminate that upper deck for rigidity? Look nice and flat, very nicely done.

Looking forward to the next update, mate!

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood bridge

Hi All

The diagrams for this model are pretty sparse even if I could read polish so I am building all the bits as seperate units and dry fitting as I go along to check the relative postions. The whole look of the bridge hinges on the armoured tower at the front of the bridge if you get that right the rest fits well. One thing this kit lacks is centre line indicators which need to be pencilled in. I will start gluing the bridges together as a whole when I have got the tripod mast ready to install a bit on the lines of Fuso and it will be another make or break point.

@jim

The deck is laminated which is useful to line up the deck joins and give a good deal of support, and I had also added crossframes on the deck houses.

hood_24.JPG

hood_25.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood deck houses

Hi All

I felt like adding some simple bits today. Mainly because my sledgehammer scaling uses alot of paper and repitition so I was trying to reduce some of the mess of paper. I could do with some more memory on the computer. Still building as small units there are a few errors on the fit of things even allowing for my scaling down. So far they have been simple to put right. I do not like the way they decided to design the deckhouses all in one piece with too many tabs and fold downs most of them I modified to beef up the deck house tops.

hood_26.JPG

hood_27.JPG

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Way to go, Barry! :D I agree, some construction methods use too many tabs, they throw off a good, clean joint, I think. From the looks of what you've done, I'd say your technique worked very well. Lots of great "house work" there, mate! I liked the way that range finder came out.

More when you can, mate!

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood aft tower

Hi All

This has been the worst fitting part of Hood so far just about every piece had to be trimmed in one way or another, ok nothing desperate but annoying. I doubt if it is still in scale but as long as it looks generally symetrical I will have to be satisfied. The pics are not good but at least they show the ladders going down to the deck below.

From the comments I have heard I think my rescaling the model has helped because I expected to have to trim parts anyway and I have missed some of the awkward ones.

hood_28.JPG

hood_29.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
gun tubs

Hi

I built these gun tubs upside down to start with with the deck at the top only to realise it was the floor of the gun position, a good idea as it neatly positions the screens, however I think the designer had a tea break in the middle of laying out the screens they don't fit anywhere, just an annoyance really.

I am keeping the model as a pile of small bits the theory being I should be able to do the touching up more easily and have more time to work out where they go, the general diagram is just about useless. However it begins to look like Hood.

hood_30.JPG

fair bit of touchup to do

hood_31.JPG

hood_32.JPG

gun tubs the right way up

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood bridge

Hi

another level or two of the bridge I have a problem because the design does not show where the hole for the sheer legs of the mast passes through, so as I am geometrically challenged I will have to find it empirically somehow (good job it's a printout so I can have a few tries).
The mast looks a little short to me but a I have a bit of room for to remedy this if necessary.

Big stop comes after this as the bridge ladders will all have to be installed there is no way of doing this later.

hood_33.JPG

hood_34.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Tripod mast

Bit awkward when th edesigner forgets to show the holes in the upper deck. I rolled the mast legs from card and tried to line up with the designed holes in the two lower deckhouse below missed by a mile the answer is get savage and cut a b*****y great square hole in the top of them it's going to be covered up anyway. I then rolled another sheer leg and cut it off at the required height dropped the upper deck down on it and marked where the hole should be. I now need to roll some slightly thinner mast legs from heavy grade copy paper and refit the lot again.

If this goes well I will finish it if not I will probably jump on it.

hood_35.JPG

tripod mast test fitting need to paint the top of the tower black as the window cut outs don't show properly.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hood

@jim

Point taken

Added a few more deckhouses etc spent a long while lining up the bridge and sheerlegs again I need to reprint the upper bridge deck again because by the end of it there were huge holes in it (no pic).

hood_36.JPG

hood_37.JPG

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Great job Barry

Looks great all the work is starting to pay off!!

As always MORE :lol:

Rob

PS

I always thought tabs were to give something to hold on to while trimming a part, just before you cut them off :lol: