HMS Glowworm

Orion

Hi
I`ll say so......
I`ve wondered for several days , what next model to execute after ORP "Burza" and F -14 Tomcat. I thought about one of these two ships:
ORP "Gryf"
HMS "Glowworm"
.....you made me on this ship "appetite" .
I`ve to begin to collect materials and working plan HMS "Glowworm"

barry

Bridge

Hi All

Quite a complicated bridge to build but if you take it slowly the fit is brilliant I cut off all the tabs I think they just add complications and for me they never sit down properly.

@Jim

Trying to do a Krauzlis but the add on switch boxes aren't square, not sure whether to attempt the electrics I think that might be a bridge too far. Painting all the edges pieces is a bit wearing but worth it I think.

T

Texman

So, there is now a name for it, huh. Doing a Krauzlis. Congrats Jim, you got an
affliction (detailing) named after you!

Ray

Darwin

A bridge too far....oh, groooaaaannnnnnn. At least it shows I'm not the only one into bad puns. The build is going great, Barry. If you think the electrics are crooked, just wait until you see the torpedo launchers on the Z10....with luck, I might be able to get some taken and posted tomorrow.

barry

bridge complete

Added range finder bridge is complete now all I have to do is hope it fits when glued.

pic03451nx.jpg

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Bazzer! :smile:

I have to say, mate, she is really looking great! There is obviously a lot of detail built into this design, and you are doing a brilliant job to bring them to life!

"Doing a Krauzlis"? :grin: Well, I am honored that you attribute my name to anything you do, mate, but be prepared for a bunch of head scratching, cussing, parts flying off into space never to be seen again and lying awake at night trying to figure out what went wrong..."with visions of "itsy-bitsy" parts dancing in your head." :smile:

Keep those updates coming, they are an absolute treat to my eyes!

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Funnels

First attempt at funnels they look allright from this side the real reason for the pic is the set of steps which are the first ones I ever did with horizontal treads (and probably the last)

barry

aa and searchlight deckhouses

There are so many hatches on this ship and they all have to be edge painted I'm always curious as to why flash always looks stright through acrylic paint. I painted the backs of the canvas screens as I do not like 2 layers on something so flimsy as canvas at this scale if I got my act together I suppose I could print the back of the sheet of card.

barry

Emergency wheel and searchlight

The wheel is two circles of wire with cardboard spokes and an inner disk to hide the mess in the middle the spokes should be thinner on reflection.

Searchlight has a plastic disc face and a bit of silver paper behind.

The wheel looks a bit drunk in the pic.

Jim Krauzlis

Wotcher, Bazzer! :smile:

These little bits are really coming out great, mate. Doesn't look "drunk" to me. I find that making the helm is one of the most challenging parts of the ship model...probably why most designers just leave them as a printed disc. The problem is there the spokes cross in the middle, as you mention. I think your creation looks pretty darn good!

Looking forward to more!
Cheers!

Jim

barry

Quintuple torpedo tubes

Nearly there still lacking some walking boards and firing cylinders

nearly got the end caps on straight !

luckily ther are two large steam pipes to cover the mess I made of the edge colouring on the funnels.

barry

C gun deck

Hi All

Built the main deckhouse for C gun and added the hand rails to it, also finished off most of the torpedo tubes but they would be better with some steps added. The rails will have to dry until tomorrow before painting. Thats all the main deckhouses on Glowworm, although C deck still lacks its blast shield. The fit of all of the parts has been a real pleasure to build (Nothing is stuck down as yet but the parts fit so snugly it does not matter). Still a lot of detail to add plus of course all the rails to cut and rig.

If you build this ship take note that torpedo tubes have two different mounting heights and they should end up with the tubes at the same level taking the deck heights into account.

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Bazzer! :smile:

Ah, she is filling out very nicely now, mate!

I see lots of work in those blast shields, but I do believe the photos show how it is all worth it. Great job on a difficult bit of building.

Keep at it mate! More when you can.

Cheers!

Jim

Gil

Egads Barry, it's really beginning to look a lot like a ship. Wonder how that happend? Interesting amount of fish tubes on the after deck.

-Gil

barry

torpedo flat hatches

Not a lot to see for a couple of nights work building the hatches is easy painting the edges takes for ever and the camera flash makes the work disappear. Of course most of the hatches will be hidden by the tubes however this is one of those models that people just have to get down and look at.

Thanks Jim

Gil you are right I did not realise the Navy had any quintuple tubes fitted until I built this one.

regards

barry

railings

Hi All

This is by way of an experiment I found jabbing pins in finished hulls was downright dangerous it's not my favourite job and I have been putting it off for days and I now have run out of excuses.

So far I am finding it easier without the sides. If I had any sense I would just buy some railings.

barry

Hull sides

Hi All

Finally decided to go mad and put the hull sides on the experiment with the rails was not 100% but although some need refitting and others bending a bit I am still happy that it worked better than my usial efforts.

The sides fitted almost perfectly had to trim about 1/32" off each side at the stern but that was probably me again.

I decided to use Jim's method of forming a loop and screwing it into the deck to attach the rigging wires.

sorry about the recolouring at the stern but the flash looked terrible.