HMS Chiddingfold by GreMir

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by Padre, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Padre

Padre Guest

Doing a build thread for GreMir of the HMS Chiddingfold. Not in his offer yet. Does not appear to be a difficult model, there are 11 sheets of parts and 6 pages of instructions, appearance, template and diagrams. It is 1:200 scale. Don't know how it is exactly going to look until I finish! sign1

Attached Files:

2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sweet! Full hull or waterline?
    Chris
  3. Padre

Padre Guest

Full hull
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I especially like watching full hulls come together - they have kicked my butt every time so far.... I will get up the nerve again some day.
    Chris
  5. lriera

lriera Member

I agree with Chris, the hulls are one of the more beautifull pieces of this hobby. I am also waiting for your upgrades.
  6. Padre

Padre Guest

Frame going together well, parts fit nicely and labeled well. A little over 16 inches in length.

Attached Files:

7. smyfe

smyfe Member

Watching very closely and learning:thumb:,I have a few of Gremirs RN destroyers, tried Garland and completely messed up the lower hull:cry:, After watching your Repulse build, I hope I can learn from you. I keep hoping that one day Gremir will release a tribal class destroyer, as they are my favourite all time ship design
    keep up the great work
    Mick
  8. Padre

Padre Guest

So far everything is still going together well. Seems to be a simple model suitable for beginners or someone who wants a rest from the more challenging tasks. If you look close I had a little bubble on the bow plate along the keel. a slight cut fixed that. Then trimmed the bow to shape with scissors. Sanded the bow edge and the used super glue on it for stiffening.

Attached Files:

9. Padre

Padre Guest

Finished sides of ship, looks good. I had to add a little strip at the stern to fill in a gap, not sure if I should have trimmed more or what. A little added length for trimming and fitting is what I would prefer, as I always seem to have a little extra (better) or a little short (durn) when I do the sides. Now for the superstructure.

Attached Files:

10. KenG

KenG New Member

I'm following this build in order to learn. The hull seems very smooth, what weight paper did you print that on? Thanks for sharing your build!:)

Ken
  11. Padre

Padre Guest

Its not a big build so I used 65lb. On the Repulse I used 110lb. 65lb = 100gsm
  12. Padre

Padre Guest

First off, suggestions.
    Glue all hatches to superstructure parts on all sheets, that way you don't forget them. I like separate hatches as they give a 3d effect.

Glue 35gp inside 35a and align with top edge to ensure alignment of conn deck.

Part 35fp is a reverse fold to go into 35e.

There is no diagram of part 41 so I used the appearance sheet to see what they were.

There is mention of part 43b on diagram of 43.

There are a number of little parts to challenge a beginner.

Attached Files:

13. Padre

Padre Guest

More detail on bridge, missing part 49f (reported), replaced with part 49e. Part37 al/ap not on diagram but I figured out where it went. 4th pic shows it.

Attached Files:

14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Looking great! That has some really well done details and I must say you are puting it together very well.
    Chris
  15. Padre

Padre Guest

Bow done. As there was no diagram for the bow I had to use the General Plan sheet for parts and layout. Some parts not shown as to what they were for on assembly sheets but from experience I figured out what they were for. While building I do not put on parts that stick up or out as I have a tendency to knock them off as I move the ship around. I think now I will start on the stand and the props/rudder.

Attached Files:

16. Padre

Padre Guest

I know I said the props and rudder would be next, but as I said I have a tendency to break things that stick out sooooo.:p I am working on the aft structure. The underside of the 02 deck was not on the diagram but this is where they go.:wave:

Attached Files:

17. Padre

Padre Guest

Working on midships and stack of Chiddingfold. Everything going together well and response from GreMir is great. I said that this would be a good model for a beginner earlier, now, maybe an advanced beginner. Model is looking good.

Attached Files:

18. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

I absolutely love the netting on the ship! How do you manage to do it? Poke holes? :p
  19. Padre

Padre Guest

Nope, it is printed.
  20. Padre

Padre Guest

More midships structures completed, searchlight, 49mm gun, etc. All gun barrels were reprinted on regular paper so that they could be rolled tightly/easier and fit in slots better. That includes forward, mid and aft main guns.

Attached Files: