HMS Bellona

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by pashlispaht, Jun 25, 2007.

1. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Well I finally decided to take the plunge and have just started cutting paper for the Shipyard HMS Bellona. This is a truly incredible model and I have always wanted to build a British frigate ever since seeing the Cleo under construction. So wish me luck;this is my first naval model, all my previous experience being in aircraft and armor.
  2. David H

David H Member

Way to go man!

The Bellona is one fine ship!

I have not got the guts for a full on ship from Ship Yard yet but I have just cut paper on the old HMS Alert, cutter, (1:96, no lasered bits...) and I still have an aching arm. A thread in waiting.

My personal terror / challenge is rigging, I think I can manage, just about, all the rest.

I will eagerly watch your posts and you can count on me for support anytime!

Regards

David
  3. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

Happy building!
    Send pics as you go along.
    I love the shipyard models. I have some too but have not built any yet.
  4. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

5. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Thanks for the link; I watched Cristoph build the HMS Victory, and his work is truly humbling. I hope mine will be half as good as his... I will post some pics later; I need to find my digital camera first.
  6. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I seem to be having issues with uploading pictures. I cannot upload a JPEG file that seems to meet all the size and type reqirements. I keep getting a database error message. Any ideas on how to upload photos or is this another consequence of the forum site change?
  7. gippolot

gippolot Member

HI,

I don't know what the problem is, but I uploaded some 900x500 pixel at 400kb photos I have stored at Photobucket without any problems. How big are the photos?

Regards,
    Andrew
  8. JerzyBin

JerzyBin Member

big brother and I am watching you on that :)
    Good Luck!

You will have lots to do:

HMS Bellona

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Have fun - I will follow this thread because that will be a gorgeous model when complete ;)
  10. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Update

I still cannot figure out this photo post thing. I have been trying to attach a JPEG with a total size of 18.9KB and a dimension of 400 x 280. I am spending more time trying to post the photo than it took to cut out the part. I have made progress on the model; 6 of the bulkheads are cut out as well as the keel/side profile piece. Anyway, any ideas on photos would be helpful...
  11. dansls1

dansls1 Member

The easiest thing in the short term might be to find an off-forum host for your pictures and just link to them in the thread. Comcast for example will let you upload photo's as part of their cable modem service, or there's websites like photobucket and such. Not real familiar with the other hosts as I use Comcast to upload anything I need to host.

Edit - I just uploaded a picture to the gallery and linked it into a test thread. Quick rundown of how:
    1) Click on Gallery at top right of page.
    2) Click on 'my albums'
    3) Create a new album.
    4) Click on the 'upload photo's' to the right of the album you created.
    5) Find the file(s) and upload.
    6) When you click on a pic, it'll give at the bottom a 'BB Code' - copy and paste that info into your post.
  12. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

Guess it works!

Here is a test of the photo capability using dansls1's info. [​IMG]

If you can see it, this is the first bulkhead from the model. There are 20 total, and I find using a x-acto blade that has the tip broken off works best to cut the 1mm card. A fresh blade seems to last for only a single bulkhead before it gets dull. I have already cut six of them on a single blade and it has not dulled yet.
  13. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

[​IMG]

Here is one more photo for your enjoyment. I need to work on the quality of my photography...
  14. eatcrow2

eatcrow2 Member

A great looking start.. Something I do when cutting out thicker frames, is to have a piece of beeswax handy to drag my blade through after every few cuts. You'll be surprised at how much smoother the cut will be.
  15. David H

David H Member

A picture of the Admiralty Ship model, HMS Bellona scanned from Lavery B and Stephenson S Ship Models, The Purpose and development from 1650 to the present, Zwmmer 1996.

[​IMG]

I really wish I had started this one! It was built in the late 18th century,contemporary with the ship to instruct George III in things naval and copper plating in particular.

D
  16. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

I must have an older kit. Mine does not contain the copper sheathing that is in the photo of the pages from the kit. Not to fear... I have a very good reference book on the Bellona by Brian Lavery. One of his Anatomy of the Ship series. It has diagrams of the coppering scheme. But I have a ways to go until I get to that point...
  17. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

[​IMG]

I have been busy working on the frames for the Bellona. Yesterday I completed the last one and dry-fitted it into place. I have already gone through a considerable amount of 1mm cardstock, and I still have quite a few more 1mm pieces to cut out.
  18. pashlispaht

pashlispaht Member

[​IMG]

Here is one more view of the model with all the frames dry-fitted into place. Now it is back to work on cutting more parts to lock everything into place...
  19. Scorpio

Scorpio Member

Hi,
    Very nicely, only further in such a way!

With the best greetings
    Christoph
  20. JerzyBin

JerzyBin Member

Here are some pictures of the model built actually by ShipYard!: HMS Bellona

I was showing that link before under different thread, but I believe it also will fit here again :)

You have long way to go, but we are here with you :wave: