highway posts

xtcrr

Feb 7, 2006
Im looking for highways posts to hang a highway sign on, any one know of a place to make (template) or some one that sales these?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Most of the signs around here are just 4x4 or 6x6 pressure treated. The smaller signs (like speed limits) are on ~3" channel steel. You should be able to find styrene or brass shapes that fit the bill.

Andrew

CharlesH.

Jul 31, 2004
my house
I've seen signs made with light rail (though not on highways).
You could also use toothpicks for heavier signs and paint them in an apropriate metallic colour.

Relic

Nov 6, 2005
Nova Scotia
I've used small wooden match sticks, they'er a bit bigger than 4x4 but they look ok
Round toothpicks ,the ones that are pointy on both ends
skewer's, the wooden ones ,cut to length and paint aluminium for more moderen signs
have fun

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
MasonJar said:
Most of the signs around here are just 4x4 or 6x6 pressure treated. The smaller signs (like speed limits) are on ~3" channel steel. You should be able to find styrene or brass shapes that fit the bill.

Andrew

I think brass would be better than the styrene. The cross section of styrene is too big do to the lack of strength. Brass would be close to scale thickness.

xtcrr

Feb 7, 2006
hisgway signs

I guess i was looking for the heavier post (steel) that would cross a highway
not the ones on the side of the road...

tverskaya

Dec 28, 2005
Bending a brass tube (of a number of them, to have the end a bit thinner), to get a post which hangs above the road and is on the ground on one side (a bit like a street lantern)

A few square/rectangular/triangular styrene rods (does that go together?). If you want an open construction, you could scour some kits or else just glue something out of styrene or solder something together. Matchsticks might be too rough.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
A trick to use if you want to bend round brass or copper tubing is to run a piece of wire through the tubing to fill it first. When you bend the tubing, the wire will keep it from collapsing. After the tubing is bent to the shape you want, pull out the wire. Most of the highway bridges I see here in Cali, are made out of what looks to be tubing about 12 inches in diameter and bent to curve over the freeway.

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Overhead signs

If you're interested in overhead highway signs, aaroads.com has a library of highway photos from different parts of the country. Just look up the state that you're interested in. Keep in mind that there are many different types of signs from something as simple as span wire mounted on wood poles to elaborate gantries. Some of those could be very detailed models.

xtcrr

Feb 7, 2006
I think im going to go with the small copper pipes bent, yeah i saw where you fit stuff in side the tube to bend it, sounds simple but does it work in real life.....time to find out!

Taylor

Dec 24, 2005
I never thought I would find a street sign so fascinating. That think looks awesome and is very similar to the ones in my area. Great Job!!!