High Speed on the NEC

Twiget

Jan 11, 2006
Cherry Hill, NJ
The other day I took the Regional from NYC back to 30th Street station in Phil. I had carried a portable GPS that we keep in the car. I had turned it on to pass the time. After it had synced up and had a good fix it started showing the speed that we were traveling. On two occasions one between Metro Park and Trenton and again between Trenton and Phil. The single loco and at least ten cars kept a sustained speed of 120 MPH. This was not the Acela, but a regional. I love traveling by train!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

puddlejumper

Dec 7, 2007
Southern Maryland
What's neat is the PRR and PC had schedules that bested today's Acela. And that is with GG1s, regular heavyweight and lightweight coaches, and metroliners, they didn't need special built tilt train technology and such modern "advances" to maintain those schedules.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
I loved standing...

...on the platform in Levittown (PA), just south of Trenton. The GG-1s and Metroliners would be back up to speed, blasting by where I'd get a bit tizzy and grab for a light pole to hang onto. Once in a while a train would be on the platform track. You'd have thought they'd back it down a notch- NOT!

Mark