hiding switch mechanisms?

Woodyncarlyle

Oct 22, 2006
I started laying out my track today. I decided to use electrc switches, does anyone have some tips on blending the switch mech. into the scenery. using under table switches isn't really an option.

Thank you all
Woody

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
well, im thinking hard about an under table switch machine, but i have never had one before. i think ill buy 1 and see how it works, before i buy enough for all my switches.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Being the ever...

...consummate N Scaler- I accepted big hunking pieces of plastic next to my switch machines much as I would accept having to step over all the air lines used to move switch points in a real rail yard. A little hiding by sweeping some "growth" near them is OK. Other than that- it am be what i'm at!

I personally have fallen head over heals in love with (and okay- so on occasion I wear heels! you got a problem with that???!!!) Kato's trackage since I have big meat hooks. My wife enjoys my large, rough hands but, my track work suffers- 'magine. The Kato switches totally enclose the mechanism beneath their formed ballast. Quite cool. 'taint nuthin to see. Is it pricey if you're on a budget or priceless (much like me in heels)? I'll bop anyone on the nose who takes me seriously!!!! about the heels thing. Further more I'll point you to my denials in another post here of which is beyond the scope of this discussion.

Annonomous.sign1

No 1. They don't make heels in Men's size 14WWW.

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Painting switch machine

Train 1 had a great idea! If you don't have a lot of switches, painting it rusty and adding some more junk may help it blend in like a scrap yard, or just where people dumped their junk autos,etc. Thanks.

Collyn

Aug 18, 2006
Canon City CO
www.rankinrevolutions.com
The Kato switches totally enclose the mechanism beneath their formed ballast.

does kato's swithches work well, the bachman swithches are compleatly worthless, I was thinking about taking the track off and replaceing it, it shouldm't be too hard the track comes off easy enough as long as you find all the screws

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Kato switches...

...that I have work great. I have yet to power them and in fact- if I need anymore- I'm using them manually. I will power the out of reach ones but they snap nice and tight- seldom have contact problems with locos and they look fantastic.

Mind you- I am a klutz with trackwork, have a bad back and don't wanna hafta mess hovering over switch joints etc, too long. It's my easy way to good looking track that operates smoothly.

Mark
(Note to self: Send Kato bill.)

Peter Sardagna

Nov 18, 2006
Woodyncarlyle said:
I started laying out my track today. I decided to use electrc switches, does anyone have some tips on blending the switch mech. into the scenery. using under table switches isn't really an option.

Thank you all
Woody

Woody, I have successfully covered the mechanisms with aluminum foil, then plastered and landscaped over them. No hint of the ugly things will remain. Frankly, I never understood why everybody does not do this... I just don't see the downside.
Peter

corniche

Dec 22, 2006
The Friendly State - oHIo
Hello Woody,

I would like to expand on CidChase's idea. Is it possible to remove those bulky switch machines, (that are a hallmark of Atlas's sectional track), and replace them with realistic sprung ground throws from Caboose Industries?

An ideal solution would be if Atlas' Custom Line switches, (which require a ground throw because they don't have those hideous appendages), would also work with their sectional track.

If this is too much work for you, (or it isn't possible for some reason), then Collyn's or Peter's ideas for building up scenery around them would be the next best option I suppose.

Best wishes,

Sean
corniche