Hiding an antenna

Richard Gude

May 31, 2005
I have an NCE Power Pro with radio. I have a small to medium layout 8 x 14.5. I have no difficulty with the radio reception with the base antenna siting on top of the train table. I would like to hide the base antenna. I have a Walthers Champion packing house, located next to where the antenna is now placed, which looks to be just tall enough for the antenna to stand inside.

It is a styrene building. Should I anticipate any significant degredaion of the signal? The walkaround radio controller will never be more that 12 feet from this antenna and most of the time will be within 6'.

I have not just tried it because, in order for me to test it's operation I would have to remove the packing house, unscrew it from a sheet of masonite to which it is attached and cut a hole in the masonite to accept the base of the antenna. I will have to do the later in order for it to fit inside. Therefore I thought I would ask the forum members if anyone else had attempted to hide the antenna in a building and what difficulties, if any, they may have had.
Thanks, rhg