Hi to everyone from a new guy on the Gauge

LC

Apr 5, 2001
Visit site
Hi everybody, my name is Lance. I have been reading the Gauge now for the past several weeks.
I'm quite impressed with the knowledge and types of posts. It's good when people with a common interest can exchange ideas.
I model H.O., and have for over the past 30 years. More off that on I'm afraid.
Due to a job that required a lot of moving I have, up until now been unable to really get started on a layout of any size.
I'm glad to say that this has all changed, I'm now retired and will soon be starting a 44ftX11ft layout. I have chosen to model U.P., in a time period from 1948-1961.
It was during these years that I rode the City of L.A., from Chicago to L.A. and back every summer.
Union Pacific therefore was a easy choice. I also have a little S.P. The plans for this Layout have been worked out over several years, can't tell you how many pounds of paper have been "filed". As movie director Ron Howard once said in regards to directing. "as a director you have a certain thing in mind for each scene, it's what you feel is right, all things considered, if you can achieve 60% of that you are doing good".
Modeling is much like that, we all have ideas and there is "no wrong" model railroad because we all see our own ideas and perception as what is right to us.
A post of late, is about a railroad in space or on the moon. I read that one and just thought "what"? Then in looking at it, it is in fact a very possible idea. The scenery would be easy, all gray with lots of craters.
But the point is, if this guy does this, it's his, and he can do it.
There is an article in this months Model Railroad News, a guest editorial, written by a man who isn't involved in our "hobby" at all. He is in fact Thomas W. Dixon, Chairman & President,C&O Historical Society, Inc.
This is really good reading, and well worth your while to find it if you can. The essence is "the modeler as historian", and he hits the nail on the head. Where else can someone go and see something from the past, operating in the past. He goes on to say that we, the modeling community should begin to look at ourselves as more than a hobby.
He's right!
I'm on crew with a large smoke belching, coal burning, water guzzling main line steam locomotive.
I'm very proud and feel very lucky to be in that position. To be able to show people what something built in 1913 looks like and how it works. People marvel at the thing, I'm been on crew for 5 years and I still marvel at the locomotive each time I see it. The work isn't easy, and I doubt if any of us would do it for a living.
But as we run down the tracks, gone are the water tanks, the coaling towers, and in most cases the stations too. We fill water with a fire hose, and a backhoe fills the tender with coal.
We operate with a usual crew of eight people, we have been together for the most part for several years. There is NO room on this crew for people who can't get along with each other. Gone are the "hot water boys",(those who only show up to run the beast when it's been worked on all off season by others). (If you know anything at all about steam, you know the work involved).
Model railroading is the same way, although you have to put up with some of it, this type of person usually doesn't last long.
So where does that leave me, a guy who has been involved with the hobby for over thirty years but yet really hasn't?
It leaves me putting a lot of trust in people like Shamus, someone who not only knows the ropes, but is able to explain it all and doesn't mind doing so.
Puts trust in George too, out spoken? Yes he is sometimes, but at least we know how he feels and what he stands for, better than having someone who tells you one thing just because he feels he has to tell you what you want to hear!!
So I sure look forward to talking with you all. Will be pulling out with the steam in about three weeks, will be gone until the 22nd or so of May, then it's H.O. time! And lots of questions!
Shamus, I hope your ready!
Later, and thanks
Lance

Hello Lance:

My name is Andy. I see you are doing the Union Pacific and the city of Chicago? Well, don't forget my favorit railroad, The Rock Island Line. The Rock was also in Chicago. My Dad (so did I) grew up in Moline, Illinois. My Grandparents work take my Dad, Aunt, and Uncle to Chicago on the weekends via The Rock. The Rock did merge with Union Pacific also.

As for me on here. I am more into the electronics area. I like the "high tech" toys on my layout.

However, I do ask alot of questions. Should see the area about my bridge problem on here!

Andy

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Lance, glad to have you on-board, thats a lot of space for a railroad, I will swap you my room size 14' by 11' for it, LOL.

shamus

Shay2

Feb 12, 2001
Ohio, USA
trainster.20m.com
Hi Lance,
Glad to have you aboard. It sounds as though your living the best of all worlds, real life and modeling, too!
I'm looking forward to your imput and thoughts and don't forget to share those crew experiences.
I'm planning on visiting West Virginia this summer to ride on the Cass Scenic Railroad. The Shay pulled open cars should be some ride through the mountains! I plan on taking a few thousand photo's and will share some of them here.

Rich

------------------
Rush Run River Logging Co.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Welcome LC!
I can relate to the "more off than on" problem.
That down time can allow you to really think things through, & you sound like you have some really well planned projects for yourself.
The best of luck to you with your railroading - 1:87 AND 1:1.
Looking forward to hearing more about it!

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
LC!

WELCOME ABOARD!

I think we're in for a refreshing perspective by means of your experience on the high iron. I look forward to reading about your activities and will help whereever possible. Good luck on your new pike and keep that steamer between the ditches!
smile.gif

George

Virginian

Jan 27, 2001
Santa Rosa, Ca.
Visit site
Hi Lance
Welcome to the gauge..hope to read lots of stories..and look forward to learning right along with you as we finally get our dreams brought to reality..with the wonderful help of all the good fellas aboard the 'train'.

Say, Rich...where in West VA. is Cass Senic RR? Ive never heard of it before.
I'm hoping to be in the southern part of the state, Wyoming county/Mullens. sometime this summer..perhaps we could meet somewhere while there???
Bye y'all
VGN