Hi! New Here. My Layout

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
Bumper's painted and weathered in the paper mill complex.

Attachments

• IMG_2493.jpg
    IMG_2493.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_2494.jpg
    IMG_2494.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 137

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
Hey Guys, few questions for you...
*Where exactly do I mount the curved grab iron by the fan?
*Also, is there some where to find the exact grab iron locations for this locamotive (blue prints or something?)? It is hard to tell from the prototype photos.

Thank you so much!!!:)

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Heya Chrisdapos,

The curved grab iron on EMD diesels go on the rear of the long hood, next to the last radiator fan.

Hope this helps! :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 118

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
As far as the drop grab irons' locations go...

On the front end of my own custom-detailed SP unit, I circled them in green for you.

On the rear end of an Athearn RTR loco (I don't like how Athearn drilled the holes-- They look quite crude), you can see where the grabs go there.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 116

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Oops!

Sorry I forgot to circle one more location on the front where you need to put a grab iron.

If you take a look at my SP unit above, there is one more grab iron on the engineer's side of the locomotive, right at the front of the sub-base (to the left of the nose), partially hidden by the shadow. :eek:ops:

I need a better camera so it doesn't come out so blurry!

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
LongIslandTom: I was able to place all the grab irons except for the one you did not circle. Because my locomotive is a snoot, the nose is wicked long and to get to those holes is really hard. Pictures will follow soon.

Wickman: There is going to be a mountain with a cut through incorporated soon, and my dad wants to put in a bridge of sorts, so that will also be incorporated into the layout.

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
Here are the pictures with the grab irons unpainted. Painted pictures will be here in a little bit.

LongIslandTom: I know where to put most of the lift rings, but on the three fans towards the back of the locamotive, there seem to be dimples for something. Do lift rings go next to the fans too, or no? (I can send a picture if necessary) Thanks! :wave: :)

Attachments

• IMG_2496.jpg
    IMG_2496.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2497.jpg
    IMG_2497.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2498.jpg
    IMG_2498.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 98

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Hi Chrisdapos,

Some people put lift rings there erroneously, but those little dimples next to the fans are actually for the Q fan conduits (not present on other types of radiator fans). You can bend them yourself out of .015" brass wire. It's a simple L-shaped wire elbow.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• IMG_0582.JPG
    IMG_0582.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 92

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Chrisdapos said:
green_elite_cab, I am pretty sure I am going to stay away from DCC until I get my own layout in my own house a little while down the road. The building in the picture is Walthers Superior Paper Mill Complex.

I will post pictures today of the detailing of the snoot.

hey its up to you. now is still a good time to convert.

In any case, nice work!

just remember to keep checking your prototype photos. railroads are confusing in the way they change things, as i learned trying to detail a Conrail Kato SD40. only one unit seemed to be a match, (which wasn't the unit number kato sold). there were so many configurations, and i only ever found one photo of CR 6345, i can only hope i have it right, lol.

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
Hey Guys!
Just wanted to say thanks for everyone's help so far with the "snoots", I am really pleased with the way they are turning out. Here are some pictures with the grab irons installed and painted. :wave:

Attachments

• IMG_2499.jpg
    IMG_2499.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_2500.jpg
    IMG_2500.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 143

Santa Fe Jack

Jul 20, 2006
Lost Almost, New Mexico
This looks great, Chrisdapos. You are a couple steps ahead of me, as I am just now tacking down the cork roadbed (though have not yet updated the pics in the web site noted in the sig). I hope to be laying track soon, but do not have a lot of time with three kids. :)

Nice work on the loco detailing, especially!

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
Please excuse the slight delay in layout updates as I have gotten my wisdom teeth pulled :). I have decided that the combination of pain medicine and HO modeling will not mix well. Please see my thread on helping me to decide a new locomotive to get! I will update this thread once I start back on the loco/layout again.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
SWEET!

I'm actually on the other end of the forceps when it comes to wisdom tooth extraction.. :D

Hope you feel better, and remember, no smoking, alcohol, spitting, or drinking through a straw for the next 48 hours, lest you end up with a dry socket. tooth1

Looking forward to your updates!

Chrisdapos

Dec 29, 2006
K...four teeth gone:cry: , dad buys son a new loco :) (BNSF GP60B #333):) :) , AND BNSF #6867 (SD40-2 Snoot) is done being detailed (aside from number boards and horn):D :D .

*Sorry for the poor quality, I will post some stationary close-ups tomorrow maybe*

Thanks everyone for their help with 6867!!!:) :) :) :wave:

Attachments

• IMG_2534.jpg
    IMG_2534.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_2536.jpg
    IMG_2536.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_2537.jpg
    IMG_2537.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2538.jpg
    IMG_2538.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 95

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
Chris, your layout looks fantastic! I myself have a 5x10 that I am currently working on. Tracks all laid out with double main. Always thought it was too small to run what i like on it, but your layout has begun to prove me wrong! I have a Northfolk Southern SD60 P2K, with consist of a Athearn BB dummys GP60 and GP40 NS and Conrail respectively. They pull the Unit coal train on my exterior main which is nearly the full 5x10 length around with switches to the other main and a small yard inside that. My other consist is a Athearn RTR Conrail Quality GP38-2 with a GP 40-2 CSX Bluebox both powered. They pull all my "industrial Cars" such as box cars and gondolas. each train has a nice caboose on the end, even tho they are rare in my area to see. I do see them tho! I have three gp60 dummy's awaiting paint and detail. One will be a CNW(converted to a gp50) and one will be a DRGW. They are still somewhat seen in the area, especially in cleveland. My last one, I have no idea what I want it to be. Then I have a C44-9W that will be primered for the NS. Please keep posting pix of your layout and I will try to get some of mine soon and show you. Its nice to see guys dreaming big with the smaller layouts!