Hi. I'm Balsadawg and I'm a builder...(yeah, yeah, I know...)

Balsadawg

Jan 29, 2015
Missouri
(in this day and age this kinda feels like I'm attending an AA meeting... ROFL)

My real name is Kevin, but more people know me as Balsadawg than anything else.

I was one of the last surviving members of an RC club (read youngest) that knew what balsa looked like fresh from the factory and not all glued, covered and painted when taken out of the box.

That's right... I was a... SCRATCH BUILDER [**GASP**]

Well, it's been a while and lots of things have happened. I no longer have the time, space, and - let's face it - the MONEY to continue.

I thought I'd try my hands at something new. I've been poking around and found that papercrafting might be just the thing. Doesn't take up a lot of room, can put it away and pick it up again and if I screw something up I can just wad it up and throw it away and start over. Oh, and BEST of all, not be out several hundred dollars if I do!

Well, good or bad, here I am... please be gentle! ;P

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That's what got me into Paper modeling. Once I realized I could make planes fly as high, but fix much cheaper, fogeddaboutit!

Welcome to Zealot BalsaDawg. (You know, at first, I had to read that avatar name a few times! :) )

Balsadawg

Jan 29, 2015
Missouri
What else?

Aircraft, of course! ;P

Actually, I've been trying to find the ModelArt OV-10 Bronco models. I loved my Bronco. That thing flew like it was on rails. Always turned heads when I taxied it out and put it in the air.

I noticed that there was the main one (green over white) and then a Black Pony and a Desert Storm Camo repaint. Got LOADS of pics of the actual craft...

Only thing missing on the Camo version is the extended nose and FLIR pod (they were OV-10Ds). There was also a variant that had a chain gun mounted underneath.

Attachments

• 0971354.jpg
    0971354.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 14
  • ov10jumpers.jpg
    ov10jumpers.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 0047903.jpg
    0047903.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 13
  • nasa_ov10a_n524na_top_pod3.jpg
    nasa_ov10a_n524na_top_pod3.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 12
  • post-3212-1132924124.jpg
    post-3212-1132924124.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 12

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There's a Bronco at this website (Paper-Replika). With a bit of work, it could be made into something really nice, like thickening up the props, and careful assembly, would go a long way. It is free. Read the Instructions on how to open the file. Airfix makes a great plastic model, but it ain't cheap!

http://paper-replika.com/index.php?...n-air-force&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=200144

ov10-bronco-indonesian-air-force-paper-model.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello Balsadawg,

Welcome to Zealot. We have many members who are scratch builders as well as RC builders. So I hope that you will feel right at home here.

If you have any photos of the models that you have already build, please post them (WE LOVE SEEING PHOTOS :D)

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask, and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome to Zealot and I am looking forward to seeing your work!!!

Jupiter

Feb 9, 2015
I prefer wood and paper to plastic, after years of plastic modelling. It feels better, more natural. Earthier. And plastic production is oil based and we're running out of oil (yes, I know paper mills can be highly polluting, but let me dream!).

Balsadawg

Jan 29, 2015
Missouri
Plus wood and paper are WAY more forgiving.

If you screw up, just a little sawing and a little sanding and a little snipping and you're able to move on.

Once glue has set on plastic, you're done.

Same as in the RC world. Anything short of "Lawn Darting" a plane into the ground can be fixed if it's wood and covering.

But if it's fiberglass or foam the only way to "fix" it is to go to your LHS and buy another one... ;P

BTW, you know the difference between margarine and plastic?

One molecule...

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013

"BTW, you know the difference between margarine and plastic?"

My Mother-in-law! :)