HHP-8 offered by Bachmann Spectrum

NSSD80MAC

Nov 27, 2005
I have just purchased a HHP-8 on ebay. I am just wondering what the general public thinks of these units currently offered by Bachmann. Does any one have inputs they like to share with the forum about these new locomotives?

When I recieve mine I will post my reviews about the HHP-8 by bachman Spectrum.

Dan

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
you know, to be honest, i heard they were already out in stores, but i've never even seen one with my own eyes. i don't even think there was one at the greenberg trainshow by me last weekend. thats kinda odd. Bachmann does say that it has the same motor and stuff as their acela express trainset, so its probably fine. i have an acela, and it works.

NSSD80MAC

Nov 27, 2005
I'll take a few pictures of it and post it on here. Yes the locomotive is equiped with the same powering, and level of detailing as the Acela set features.

Dan

NSSD80MAC

Nov 27, 2005
Finally after a long time, I am over due for some pictures, I will post only one for now, to 'test' and to make sure that this attempt is not a feevable one, since I've had issues because of image size. enjoy and I will be posting more along with my review of the HHP-8.

Dan

Attachments

• hhp-8 close up 2.jpg
    hhp-8 close up 2.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 48

NSSD80MAC

Nov 27, 2005
I have them!

The pictures are below! see for yourself, they kind of speak for themselves! They are great pullers. They do have working pantograms, and feature a few surprises. They even feature a engineer figure in one of the cabs (one in each loco, and only one!!!) just like the real world! They also feature directional head lights, and marker lights.

Even the pantograms are operational by a flick of a switch! I plan to set mine up for dcc, and perhaps in the future set up cantary system tied with DCC. (that would be for realistic operation) but that will be a long ways off! For now, I must work to get a dcc system. any sugguestions!? ( I've used Digitrax, and NCE powerhouse in the pass and like both)

ANYways, with out further adue, the HPP-8!

Attachments

• HHP-8 Front.jpg
    HHP-8 Front.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 52
  • HHP-8 Front right.jpg
    HHP-8 Front right.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 49
  • HHP-8 TOP.jpg
    HHP-8 TOP.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 50
  • package.jpg
    package.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 56

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Nice! i almost need oen now, except i'm blowing half my money trying to get an old Atlas NJT ALP44, which fits my railroad better. I'll have to grab one sometime though.If you go on my site in my signature, and click on "CAB's Projects" I have yet to be completed instructions on catenary. However, its probably worth a look. I type down more steps as I get to them (right now i short on some supplies). what level of completion is your layout?

NSSD80MAC

Nov 27, 2005
Designing phase... for now, I have no room for the layout, and wish to build one, probably shelf style with a pennisula (or two) in the middle. I've only recently begin to understand what it will take to complete the layout.
These are the things in which I think are important to know: (for myself)
The first step is to collect the master pieces, or the main characters in which you intend to model after. For me I find it much easier to build a layout only after you know what you want to run on your layout. As equipment requirments varies through different turn radius, trackage, etc...

My thoughts currently are to model the transit system between Washington dc (union station) to NYC Pen station. I would like to include both, a 2(occasonally 4) mainline for commuter trains route, with a single/double line freight. as for an era, I would like to be flexible, but would like to stick mainly to the modern theme. ( I adore innovations!) BTW speaking of which, does any one know where I may be able to get a DD108B or as we know it the alp46?(njt) I would love to include that in my collection.

Thks, DT

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
The ALP46 is Class 101 or something. Marklin makes the german version, but you'd have to do a lot of modifying to get an ALP46.

It sounds to me that you want to do the Northeast corridor. Thats what i wanted to do.

I have an idea if you are interested. have a double track semi dogbone layout. the 2 tracks will come together at the center without the complicated wireing. the turn around loops are stageing. The part you could see would all be 4 tracks. you could have a point to point freight line following it at a slightly lower elevation, so that the freight tracks can go under the commuter tracks. At least that was my idea.

24 inch radious curves would probably be fine in stageing, and 30 inch in visible portions