hhhmmm... Something Seems To Be Missing

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Not quite sure what it is............

Attached Files:

2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Oh no CB went off the deep end and sold off all his track as he exits the hobby. ;) ;)
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

gee CB, i just dont know how all your track ended up on my living room floor all set up.........
  4. Cannonball

Trust me... You wouldn't want the track that was on that table. It's in sad, sad shape. It barely conducts a current anymore. However, I'm going to save it and see if I can find some battery powered O scale locos to run outside.
  5. Cannonball

New Layout Progress!

I got all the track and switches laid today. Tomorrow I'm going to put the track clamps in the trestles and try to get them under the track.

It was a real learning experience. Now I know why that old dealership layout was done the way it was. Some of the things I wanted to change I couldn't because it would have put trestles too close to the edge. The locos would have been clipping them and then ther ewould have been problems. I ended up refering back to the original design and that is pretty close to where I ended up with this.

Fist pic- Mainline about half laid out
    Second pic- Mainline finished
    Third pic- sidings done.

Attached Files:

6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

;) I bet it is rather nice to be working with all new track. Looking good so far.
  7. Cannonball

It's very tough.
    The holes are really tight and getting the pins in was almost WORK! :eek:
    I'm still not sure if I like the sidings and would rather ditch the operations aspect for a two train layout though.
  8. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Why didn't you just try my bottom layout? It can run two seperate tracks/trains or with the flip of a switch it can all operate as one track.
  9. Cannonball

Because aside from the one train aspect, I really like this layout. I wanted to do something with an incline and this appealed to me for some reason. However, I think I can deal with it being a one train operation for now. I've got several ideas and plans going through my head right now for other layout projects around the house. I still want to put the trolley on a shelf layout. I'm also gathering supplies to build an outdoor Christmas layout for the front porch.
  10. ESE999

ESE999 Member

Wow, that is amazing. You have the same transformer (CW-80), same lionel turnout type (manual with the sliding red/green card) and you even keep your trains int he exact same plastic drawers that I do. And is that an MTH trolley? Is that K-line track? I use it (or used to use it, rather) instead of lionel, simply cause it was cheaper and looked the same.
  11. Cannonball

Actually, my switches are remotes. I just haven't hooked them up yet
    The trolley is from Industrial Rail and the track is good old fashioned Lionel bulk track. ($1.09 a section)

Not usnusual that we would have the same transformer.
    The CW-80 is pretty common. ;)
  12. Cannonball

And now I've gotta start putting track clamps in trestles.
    Wheeeeeee........

:D
  13. Geno

Geno Member

Cannonball,
    I like your track plan- looks like a lot of fun.

Geno
  14. Cannonball

It should be.
    It would be more fun if it were on a 20x20 table instead of 4x8, but I guess we all gotta make do with what we have. :D
  15. Geno

Geno Member

Cannonball,
    After reading and seeing all the fun you guys were having, I decided to set up a temporary 027 layout while I wait for for my stud rail to get made. I kept alot of it, but did sell off some Lionel 042 switches which were fine but wouldn't let my long cars pass through, as well as afew 3' straights.

My layout isn't quite 20 x 20- it's L-shaped, about 4'- 5' along most of its length and has 7' peninsulas at the ends. I even bought some K-Line 042 switches on Ebay so I can see how a yard would work. I can't duplicate my trackplan in 027, as not even K-line made 081 curves in 027 profile, but I do still have the K-Line 072 curves they made awhile back.

It should be alot of fun and keep me happy until I can get the more realistic track in.

Geno
  16. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Was at my LHS today and I noticed his price on O-27 was $1.00 for each straight section.

The new stuff looks so nice but a little cheaper than I remember it. Maybe that is just old age. :)

O-27 is still the old standard for the Christmas Tree layout.
  17. Cannonball

Good to hear, Geno!
    It's about time you got some trains rolling! :D
    Now you're gonna have to start posting some pics. ;)
  18. Cannonball

I've seen O27 as low as 99 cents a section and I've seen it as high as $1.50 a section.
    It pays off to comparison shop a bit.

I still think FasTrack is too expensive.
    I don't mind paying a little more for EZ track in HO, however. :rolleyes:
  19. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I think the lowest I've seen O27 priced is 79 cents a section (for standard straights and O27 curves). $1 per is the price I usually see. I've paid as little as 25 cents a section for clean used stuff. Since there's a shop about 5 miles from me that usually has a good selection of quality used O27 and I was able to get it so cheap (he prices it at 25-50 cents a section based on how much he has, I guess), going with O27 was a no-brainer for me, though I did use wider O27-profile curves on much of the layout.
  20. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

if ya hasd lionel fasttrack, it comes in o-84 curves