Hey!! Train!! Come back here!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
It could have been a Hollywood movie in the making. The driver of a Melbourne suburban train just thought he'd nick off to the loo at the terminus. Forgot to put the brakes on apparrently.

It rolled for 15kms and went through 12 stations before crashing iinto a stationary train on a dead-end platform at Spencer St station. Luckily no one was seriously hurt.

Melbourne train controllers had to take evasive action to prevent last night's runaway train, which reached speeds of up to 100kph, from catching up to another passenger train on the same line, it was revealed today.

Victorian Transport Minister Peter Batchelor also said the controllers had unsuccessfully tried to divert the driverless M>Train into an empty platform before it rammed into a stationary passenger train at Melbourne's Spencer Street Station.

The empty M>Train had been tracked by controllers for almost all of its 15km runaway trip from Broadmeadows before it came to a crashing halt about 9.30pm (AEDT) yesterday.

"They (the train controllers) had the ever present problem that there was a train in front that was quickly being caught up with," Mr Batchelor told reporters.

"Train paths were separated, action instructions (were given) to the train in front to move through stations without stopping."

Mr Batchelor said controllers had hoped to run the train into an unoccupied platform at Spencer Street Station where a barrier could take the impact of the collision.

Some more here

Where it went:
urlmedia_id_1044122333633_smash.gif

The result:
c4.jpg

They have not released details whether the "dead man's handle" was functioning or not.

The whole thing sounds like my layout when I nick off to the loo, too. :):)

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
Hi Woodie,
Sounds like a case of equipment failure to me, I don`t know how that could happen as the Brakes SHOULD be spring applied and air release, on all wheels.
So air failure would apply the brakes. also on T T C subways and streetcar if the operator leaves the cab he has to release the deadman control that allows him/her to operate the vehical.
Please let us know the outcome of the investigation.