Hey Jon, nice kitbashing

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Jon (our resident micro soldering wizard) sent me parts to make a switchstand that is proto for this area (none are available in n-scale). The real R.R.'s use a tall one on the main and short elsewhere. This (duh) is the tall version. Don't ask me how Jon solders stuff this small. The "head" is only about 1/8" in diameter and is one full circle to which he had to solder TWO half circles, then solder that to a VERY tiny brass wire. The "stand" is a very tiny brass or copper tube that the head then slides into and was split (somehow without messing it up) to make legs, just cut the wire to the lenght you want. I made a frame of wood smililar to what the real ones look like and used a piece of the wire laid down to represent the linkage and painted it all flat black. then painted the head white and red. Came out really nice I think. Don't know if you can tell or not but that is a penny in the picture to be able to give a idea how SMALL this really is. In the next pictures with it on the layout it is just sitting there, still needs to be leveled and "planted". Jon outstanding work my friend, but I got BAD news!!!! You will be getting an e-mail shortly letting you know how many more I'll be needing. :D :eek: :D

Attachments

• parts.jpg
    parts.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 231

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Tyson is that a static display or is it linked to the throw and turns? Nice work either way, gonna have to give that a go myself. Can't solder like that but can make the flag part with stryrene and then cast the little suckers - I hope.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Bill first I should of said nice scratch not kit bashing (need to change my meds :D ). They will be static but the head swivels so when you take a pic you can line it up the right way. I guess you could figure a way to hook it so it functions and maybe down the road when I no longer have a layout that is half bare styro and plywood I'll consider it :D .To make the head out of plastic the plastic would be about as thick as a sheet of paper which is why (IMHO) the metal is a better way to go. I can't solder like that either which is why sucking up to Jon comes in handy :D :rolleyes: :D !!!! How the heck he solders things like that is beyond me. This style is VERY common in the South, don't know why nobody offers them commercially. Jon if you are reading this you might want to consider a little business venture on the side! ;)

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Hey Mike, that paint job looks great! And I like the base you made for it too. Glad you guys like the switch stands.

Originally posted by Tyson Rayles
How the heck he solders things like that is beyond me.
Just have my LPBs do all the little work :)
This style is VERY common in the South, don't know why nobody offers them commercially. Jon if you are reading this you might want to consider a little business venture on the side! ;)

I thot I already did:
FS on this thread :)

I have not made any 4 sided one FS yet. Perhaps after I make all the ones you need, I'll be fast/good enough to make some to sell :)

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Jon,
That is some pretty amazing work. Wait a minute....... your not a LPB are you?!!??!!!

THAT"S how you do it! Your only a 1/2-inch tall aren't you!!!???

Love the tools you make, however tall you REALLY are.

Regards & respect,
Ham handed Ted

(There's a reason i model in "S")

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by TR-Flyer
Jon,
That is some pretty amazing work. Wait a minute....... your not a LPB are you?!!??!!!

THAT"S how you do it! Your only a 1/2-inch tall aren't you!!!???

Love the tools you make, however tall you REALLY are.

Regards & respect,
Ham handed Ted

(There's a reason i model in "S")

hahaha good one TR!

Thanks for the kind words, guys...