Hey! I got steam under the WIRES

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Chris, we are so glad you could rally up five railfan organisations with their restored steamers for the 'Big 2003 Steam Roundup' at Pickering. :D :D :D

When (If?) we see a preserved steam loco here in Switzerland, there are ALWAYS those wires above - because almost every mile of RR track in our country is under catenary. (This would be a paradise for you, I guess. :) ) But both go together well, unless you want to make a faked 'old time photograph' and you get modern hi-speed catenary into the picture. :(

Cool pics! The city background poster (Instant Horizons?) blends perfectly with the 3d buildings along the backdrop. Very well done!

A question: I like the electric loco on the second picture. (Looks like a FA-1 snout under a pantograph.) What type of engine is this?

Ron

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
HA ha ha ,

Thanks Guys.
Glad, you liked my "play time";)

Hi Ron, I always love the Swiztzerland railway post`s,
Trimbach, are you near any main lines? Love ta see some pics
:D .
The F A- 1 is Two F a-1`s:D .
We have to kit bash most if not all our equipment Ron, its either that our have none, or try and afford the odd brass units that we find. and I dont like the way most run.
They use to run a huge electric like the one I put together.
It`s an old Hobby Town Engine with the diesal bodys cut in two and patched together, for a look a like;) .
That setting is only 15" shelf by 10' long and was built for a street scene of the main layout.:)
BTW, I do hope you are "in" the next photo Contest:D
Looking forward to that.

Here is a better shot of the F-A 1 taken from the loop end. btw it will go around a 9'' ( 22" averall) turnaround:eek:

Attachments

• b&m.jpg
    b&m.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 171

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Chris,

Trimbach is a suburb of Olten, one of the biggest RR junction points in Switzerland. Here the Swiss mainlines North - South and East - West meet. We have about 1000 trains (!) per day through Olten - an Eldorado for railfans! I hope to post some shots in the near future, but first I have to organize a digital camera in school. :D

Re 'double FA-1': She really looks good. If memory doesn't play tricks on me, in the US there were the 'Little Joe' electrics (MILW? GN?) - and isn't your loco a look-alike of this engine?

Chris, now hold on to your hat:
How's THIS for 'steam under the wires'? :eek: :eek: :eek:

In WW II the Swiss Federal railways (SBB) really installed electric heaters in some steam switchers, because Switzerland had not enough coal, but lots of (hydro-)electricity. BTW: This is no fake, although April 1st is only two days away. :D

Ron

Attachments

• sbb-e3-3elektrisch.jpg
    sbb-e3-3elektrisch.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 153

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
And here one more pic from Switzerland - halfway between steam and wire:

It's pure electric, but she's got connecting rods for driving the wheels. In my eyes one of the most charming 'little' electric locos. As a small kid I used to hitch a ride in the cab, when she was switching the daily peddler freight on the station where my grandfather worked as the station agent. (Try this today!! :( )

Technically this is a Ce 4/4 of the Bern - Loetschberg - Simplon Railway (BLS). ['C' - top speed of 65 km per hour (about 40 mph), 'e' - electric, '4/4' - four axles out of four are powered.]

Hope you like it, too.

BTW: If any of you gaugers have questions about Swiss railroads - go ahead. I'll try to help when I can.

Ron

Attachments

• bls ce 4-4.jpg
    bls ce 4-4.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 170

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Beautiful

Hi Ron, boy o boy you sure have a great place to live;)

Now I have seen that electric steam engine before, I think I have a C D with it on gonna try an find it:)

That second shot is a little beaut:D

I think you are right about the little Joe`s.
My model is a cheap and cheerful:D :D :D look a like.
Modeling the heavy Electrics and Interurbans gives us a lot of "licence" as many Rail lines built there own stuff as needed, often from old equiment !:D

PS you had a great childhood with gramps eh;)

Jorge

Mar 3, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello Interurban.

Great pics of your layout. I just love the kitbashed engines. Also thanks for posting a bigger pic of my Bronx Union engine. I'm kit bashing one of these, it's an EMD SW1200m with General Electric U9C trucks. Keep us posted.

Thanks
Jorge
USA

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Visit site
Nice Picture Jorge

Hi Jorge, Thanks for the comments:)
How is the 1200 coming along??

Lets see a photo of the stage of progress:D ;)
Very pleased that you to like kitbashing, It`s what I like doing most with the Interurbens, They may look a bit more bashed than kit:D :D :D :D . But they run sweet and I would rather run them than a $500 brass unit .

Jorge

Mar 3, 2003
New York
Visit site
Hello.

I have the shell ready to go, but I can't find trucks that look like the ones in the pic. It looks like I might have to use the trucks off a General Electric U-25C. I have a couple of these Rivarossi ones in my parts bin. I will post both enigines for truck comparison.

Have fun
Jorge
USA

Attachments

• d-1301.jpg
    d-1301.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 58