Hey I Am New Here.....

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Wow, we have quite a few Christophers here! Welcome and join the club! :)

I would like to know something about you and the models you have already built. If you have any pictures, please post them We love pictures! :)

Last edited:

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello and welcome to Zealot.

What genre are you interested in? Are you new to the hobby as a whole as well, or have you built anything?
If you have, by all means please post photos of your work. We all would like to see your work.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice. Please feel free to ask. We will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome to the forum. I hope that you enjoy yourself here. I look forward to seeing your work.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
We all started as newbs. When I started this H0bby, I I made everything from scratch. That was over 50 years ago. There were no other people I knew that made models out of paper. We had 100's of vinyl album covers, and that gave me an unlimited supply of cardboard, I did a lot of kit bashing back then. I knew I was one the right track when kids started trading me their plastic models for my paper models. My planes really flew, theirs just dropped to the ground and broke into many pieces. Welcome to Zealot. :)

mcusanelli

Feb 26, 2008
Christopher, you're in the right place! This forum is made up of very kind and generous people from all over, you're gonna love it!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Please feel free to post pics, tell us what kind of models you are interested in. We can guide you to some great models to build, and best of all, FREE!! ;)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Christopher, were did you go? :drinksmile:

Christopher10

Jun 21, 2016
Hey I am here!! It’s great to see so many responses. As I have said I am new here, I am new to everything regarding this. I want to build a model and need a guideline that's why I have joined this forum.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hey Chris! Welcome back again! :)thumbsup

Being new to something is not bad at all. We all have started as fresh beginners or newbees. First of all, do not be intimidated by the subject. Just start with the first piece and then slowly proceed with the next one, the next one and the (many or few) ones after.

Did you already have a model you are planning to build or do you need some inspiration for your "very first cuts"? If it is the latter, I would recommend an easy model first to check out the main principles. You may find many sources in our "Internet Finds" section (use our search function, look for "beginner friendly". You may also check out the various sites offering free models on the web, such as:

http://www.jleslie48.com/gallery_models.html
http://www.canon.com/c-park/
http://www.creativecorner.clubepson.com.au/ViewSectionActivities.asp?ID=718

These are only a small selection of the most famous ones. There are many more free model sites on the web. Just google for them. ;)

You will need some tools, too, such as a self-healing cutting mat (I have two, one in A3 for the bigger parts and one in A4 for the smaller ones, but I find myself using the bigger mat on nearly all of my builds). A wooden or hard plastic board is not recommended because it will get severe cuts and scratches along with your project which will prevent you from making any more precise cuts. Then a pair of scissors (not too big, you should be able to handle it well), a pair of nail scissors (for the small parts), a metal ruler, a scalpel from the craftshop and / or a carpet knife (which I use). In addition, you will need some glue. If you are in the US you may use Zip Dry (as recommended by @zathros ). If you can't find it: Standard UHU glue for laminating parts and solvent-free glue for the everyday pieces (caution: solvent-free glue is water-based, so use sparingly or your parts will become wobbly). Do not use a glue stick to glue the parts together (you may use it for laminating though but you will have to make sure that the laminated parts really stick together; often the glue is too weak so that the parts fell apart a few days later).

Work in a well-lit space. A windows would be good in order to refresh your air and to relax your eyes by looking at distant objects from time to time.

I hope this helps for the moment! :)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Welcome Chris, from Chris! (yes, another one :)) In addition to Revell-Fan's tips I would suggest chosing a model related to your interests. Don't choose a car if you are into sci-fi, etc. I find there's more mental "buy-in" when it's something I like outside of models ;)

Good luck, can't wait to see some of your work!

Gandolf50

Researcher of obscure between war vehicles...
Staff member
Jan 28, 2013
New Mexico USA
Welcome to Zealot, Chris!
I think that is the KEY in the beginning...start with something simple in an area that interest you! SciFi/ Characters/ Vehicles..what ever it may be..then find a simple model and work your way up to the complicated ones...the whole idea at first to my way of thinking...is to learn the tools !! and also to learn what works best for YOU! And be sure to ask questions...there are many people here that are happy to help!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I'm happy to see you're still around, that pleases me to no end. If you can make a list of some subjects you are interested in, we can get you started. ;)