Here's what I want to do!!

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
okay.... this is a basic design for our new layout. it will be up against a wall, 12' long X 4' at the widest, U shaped. I will be able to access the ends of the layout so no reach problems.
Layout01.jpg

the lines are 1 foot apart. I am using dc power with old locos so no elevation change please. i have two power supplys. I want to use my grain elevator on one end and a yard on the other end with another industry. I am using atlas code 100 snap track.

what I need is a good track layout from someone. I know some of ya'll can throw some cool looking layouts on the computer and would love to have someone come up with something. Do you thing guys and gals!!!!

thanks everyone:thumb: :thumb:

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi John,

I have a bit of feedback for you... and a whole bunch of questions..!

J&A_RR said:
okay.... this is a basic design for our new layout. it will be up against a wall, 12' long X 4' at the widest, U shaped. I will be able to access the ends of the layout so no reach problems.

It is good you thought about access, but can you put that space to better use as part of the layout? From your diagram, I assume that continuous running is important? It does keep the little ones entertained, but can get old fast...

the lines are 1 foot apart. I am using dc power with old locos so no elevation change please.

You would be hard pressed to get any meaningful elevation change in this loop, but it is possible. Do you think that the old locos/powerpacks are not up to the task?

i have two power supplys.

Do you want to run two engines at the same time?

I want to use my grain elevator on one end and a yard on the other end with another industry.

Yards can take a lot of real estate to be even semi-functional. We have two yards at our modular club, and the smallest is twice as big as your entire layout. The reason I ask is this... what do you want to accomplish? You have a grain elevator, and some other undefined industry. I would suggest that you think about what you (and the boys) might like to see, and then the requirements for that industry. That will partly help you decide the arrangement of the track.

I am using atlas code 100 snap track.

This will somewhat limit your plans, as the geometry of the snap track and switches is set, so to speak. Consider flex track for a more ... flexible... (sorry) plan.

what I need is a good track layout from someone. I know some of ya'll can throw some cool looking layouts on the computer and would love to have someone come up with something. Do you thing guys and gals!!!!

thanks everyone:thumb: :thumb:

Don't forget to check out The Gauge's Track Planning forum too. Sometimes you need to think out loud, so to speak, and you probably need to go through a few iterations. Sometimes a pencil and scratch pad can help too...

Good luck, and give us some more ideas about what you want.

Andrew

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
andrew, here goes.....

the layout is on one wall of the garage and 12 feet would allow room between the layout and the garage door on one end and a waterheater closet on the other. it could be pushed to 13 feet if need be.

continuous running is important

I dislike the way the locos sound struggling up an incline. the first layout was not level completely and the trains would slow down even on that little of elevation change.

I would like to control one loco switching or moving around on a siding while another train is traveling around the 'country side'.

okay not a yard persay but sidings. a siding for the grain elevator and then multiple sidings on the other end mostly for rolling stock storage.

for the time being, I have atlas track available for use including switches, 22" radius and 18" radius turns. putting down cash for more track would not be in my best interest with the co-ceo of our household.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
there is a site with a billiona nd 20 track plans for you. just pick what you want.

http://www.thortrains.com/

anyway, i would recomend buying flaextrack and gettint eh widest curve you can possible get, cuas then you can run things nicer, have less derailments, and use bigger freightcars and such. flextrack isn't that expensive, i wouldn't think. i never actualy payed attention to it to much ( believe me i should have). its worth it to make your layout able to accomadate as many different types of trains as possible.

chris

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
is this good enough? keep in mind you will have to wire for a reversing section, because its possible for a train to change directions with this track plan. it looks like you got a bunch of track for all sort of industries on top of the ones mentioned.

i found this a Thor trains.com, just give credit to where credit is do. i think you'll liek this one.

chris
4hoa1b.gif

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
by the way, if you want to leave out the reversine swithc, jsut get rid of the one switch in square 9-b ( just liek as if the grid was a game of battleship) that way the to sides would be disconnected. you could always get DCC, which is even better!

J&A_RR

Feb 11, 2005
austin, tx (round rock)
thanks green elite cab, I really like that plan minus the offending switch. I would probably not use the inside loop, I had forgotten about that website. It is could to be reminded of resources available at our finger tips.
before I saw your post I was playing around with this
CURRENT.jpg

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
looks like have similar minds! the only thing i wouldn't agree with is you say you don't want the inner loop. i think that would be great, you could always run an extra train, like a passenger train. with a length of running space liek that you'd be able to get a nice amtrak or your tchoice of passneger train going around, on top of a freight train, and your little switcher you want. it would be nice to have a little mor operation, but its your layout and entirely up to you. if you can, try and work in that second mainline, i know it'd be worth it

chris

cabdriver

Jan 23, 2005
J&A_RR,

Hey guys, just seeing if you are still out there and if you are still deciding to refresh your layout. :confused: :confused: Had'nt heard from you all for a while, so just thought I would check. Hope you're still railroading with the family. :wave: