Here's a cool modeling project

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Found this today on the web... Just might be my first project to paint (once I get the airbrush that is...). I flew for Pan Am just a few years ago so this would make an interesting addition to the collection.

Attachments

• Pan-Am-Diesel.jpg
    Pan-Am-Diesel.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 173

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Love that new paint scheme-- Though the old Maine Central paint scheme isn't half-bad either. :thumb:

That would be a cool project for you to do yep.. You will have to kitbash that CN-spec Geep with a cab kit and hand-bend the unique handrails first, then do the paint (which looks easy enough to do). Ought to look good!

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I believe you're right about that...I doubt Atlas will be releasing one that looks like that one anytime soon. The story behind the creation of Pan Am Railways would be interesting to discover. The guy running Guilford Rail is running Pan Am Airways too, so I'm guessing there's a good tax/corporate reason to lend the airline name to the rail service.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
Herc Driver said:
The story behind the creation of Pan Am Railways would be interesting to discover. The guy running Guilford Rail is running Pan Am Airways too, so I'm guessing there's a good tax/corporate reason to lend the airline name to the rail service.

Pan Am Railways was formerly known as Guilford Rail System. I think the name change was official earlier this spring. In addition, PAR is a subsidiary of Pan Am Systems (which includes the airline), formerly Guilford Transportation Industries.

I'm pretty sure Guilford has owned Pan Am since the late 90's.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Yeah they did. From the story I heard working there...The money behind Pan Am comes from Mellon (as in Mellon Banking). Tim Mellon is a long time pilot who promised his dad (who was friends with Juan Tripp - the guy that started Pan Am) that he'd get Pan Am flying again. He partnered with Dave Fink who is the VP of Guilford to run the airline. Unfortunately, running an airline is not like running a railroad and the airline stopped operation in Sep '02. (I have a theory why the airline failed under the leadership of a railroad minded manager, but it's a theory only.) They've since started again flying three B727 on charter operations. From the internet reports I've read, Fink is using the Pan Am name to bolster the flagging Guilford name. Over 200 boxcars are slated to be painted in the Pan Am colors, and so far this one engine. Still, it would be pretty cool watching a Pan Am diesel run the rails.