Here we go, coming back...

Franco

Jan 4, 2006
From NY, live in VA
Hi all,

I am coming back to model railroading after about 25 years.
I have been browsing this website for a few months now and finally got around to finding my old HO stuff in the attic I have been carting around for years. I am having a house extension done that includes expanding the basement, so now I should have some room. I currently have a small 'HO' slot car layout that has some scenery, so I know some on here consider it blasphemy, but I will be combining the HO trains and slots. I know, I know, the slots are really 1:64, etc, etc, etc. I will still look good and be fun, I am sure.

I have included I picture of the stuff I dug out, sorry it is large, but I wanted people to see details. This is all that is left from my first layout and trainset as a kid in general. I think most of the stuff is Tyco and AHM, but not sure completely, if you want to volunteer any info that you know about the items, please feel free. The Santa-Fe in the box I just go from Ebay to replace some of the parts on the one first shown in the pic, It was damaged on arrival... The Hornby was given to me this year by a friend in England.

Some questions:

1) The logging car, anyone recall what set that’s from, the logs dump off, but I don’t recall how it was done. **UPDATE, I found it, COX Big Pine Set**

2) The black flat car, I think had a crane on it? **UPDATE, I found it, COX Big Pine Set**

3) In the picture of the open box, bottom left, any idea what the white things still attached to the plastic is, what about the black Fence looking thing.

4) Any idea how old the Marx powerpack is? (I will be going to DCC, just curious)

5) In the church pic, the bank on the left come with a bank building, look familiar to anyone, what about the wood pile next to it?

Far out questions, I know, but maybe someone will recognize something.

More questions to come…

Thanks,
Joe

Fullset1.jpg

Fullset2.jpg

Fullset3.jpg

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Joe!

Welcome to The Gauge!

And welcome back to the hobby!

aussie balloon6

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge and back to the hobby. I think you will need to upgrade your locomotive fleet. Most of the locomotives that came with toy trains don't pull very well, and they don't operate smoothly at slow speeds. You will also need a new throttle. That Marx power pack probably doesn't have the power to do more than power the one locomotive that was in the set it came with. If you want to run more than one train at a time, you might want to consider going with a dcc starter set. You will need a separate power pack/throttle for each train you want to run. The cost of multiple throttles to run multiple trains with the need to wire blocks and add the necessary switches to turn blocks off and on will cost almost as much as the dcc setup and not work nearly as well.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Welcome to the Guage!
I see you have some old stuff there. I had that AHM "Sharknose" in Pennsy when I first started in the early '70's(oops..Dated myself).
Can't say what the white parts are, but the gray poles with the fencing is called a telltale. They were used in early days of railroading when the brakeman had to run on top of the cars to engage the brakes. These let the brakeman know when a low clearance was coming up.
As far as the Marx power pack, I'm guessing late '60's. I think Marx also had the slot car/railroad crossing also.(Had one).
Welcome back to the hobby!

tonphil1960

Dec 29, 2005
North Haledon NJ
Hey Franco,

I am doing the same thing after 30 years. I am going with N scale now as all I have left in HO is my 4884 Big Boy. The guys on these boards will help you, there is alot of info here you will be able to use.

Regards Tony, N.J.:)