Here we go again "Freight car of the week"?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Cool Wayne!

Here is a different one. It is from Accurail:

adx.jpg

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Here are two of my boxcars. The first is my scratchbuilt 40' wood boxcar, the second is a 1937 40' AAR boxcar made by Red caboose.

Attachments

• atsf41152.jpg
    atsf41152.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 135
  • co11356.jpg
    co11356.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 133

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wayne, Tom and Kurt:wave:, FANTASTIC CARS! posted on this page!!!:thumb::D. well guys, i am going to test the waters here;)tooth1. this thread was started by Catt(awesome idea Catt:thumb: ), and titled "freight car of the week". i propose we call it "freight car of the day", and post ANY freight car;)tooth1. i think it would make for an AWESOME thread of a multitude of different freight:thumb: . ANY thoughts on this? Catt, if i am WAY off on this, i am sorry, and WILL delete this post. tooth1 -Deano View attachment 29427

Attachments

• rack.JPG
    rack.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 123
C

Catt

Slightly upgraded LifeLike Thrall Alldoor boxcar from the 1970s.

bennett1.jpg

Mods are ,1 Athearn trucks with Jay-Bee wheelsets,2 bodymounted KaDee #58 couplers,3 new stirrups to replace the way to thick plastic ones.4 colour matching the end ladders (they were black).

I am planning to replace the ladders with freestanding ones in future.

jsoflo

Feb 16, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
Do you think this old Milwaukee Road box spent some time in its nameske cities industrial valley?

Attachments

• box 1a.jpg
    box 1a.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 126

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice cars, folks. It's good to see that I'm not the only one who still enjoys watching a train after the locomotive has passed.
Here's another boxcar from Train Miniature. This one started out as a plugdoor car: the door operating mechanism was shaved off, along with the tackboard that was to the left of it, then new, cut apart and re-assembled Athearn doors were cemented over the area. The existing door track was modified for the new, narrower main door, then a similar track was constructed for the half-door. The cast-on steps and grabs were replaced with metal parts, and the overly thick stock roofwalk was shaved down using an autobody file. I didn't bother with underbody detail on this one, but perhaps at a later date.:D Paint and weathering is Floquil, as usual, and the lettering is a combination of Champ decals and C-D-S dry transfers.

100_5493.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's another Train Miniature car similar to the last one, made from the plugdoor boxcar. This "Big Four" doubledoor car has doors from either a Red Caboose PRR X-29, or reworked doors from another Train Miniature car: can't remember which. Same upgrades as the previous cars, lettering by C-D-S. You might have guessed by now that NYC and its affiliates are a favourite of mine. :D

100_5496.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Good lookin' cars, guys.:thumb: Continuing with more Train Miniature stuff, here's one of my first. It's been redone with metal steps and grabs, the roofwalk was shaved using an autobody file, and the doortracks have been rebuilt to accomodate the modified Athearn Youngstown doors. The Andrews trucks, not correct for this car, are from Kadee. Floquil paint and C-D-S lettering, then weathering with washes of thinned PollyScale and airbrushed Floquil paints finished the job. I'm not sure what the picture looks like on a monitor that displays the full range of colours (mine usually lacks the red end of the spectrum), but the weathering on the panel seam lines is done using an airbrush in conjunction with a cardboard "mask". I use cereal box stock, and cut inverted vees into it to match the panel spacing (you generally need to make a different mask for each model of each manufacturer's cars, as the panel sizes are usually all different). You get varying intensities and effects, depending on how close the mask is to the carside. The secret is to use severely thinned paint, and a light touch on the airbrush trigger, as you can always come back and add more if necessary. A wash of PollyScale helps to blend everything together, then an overspray of road grime and dust completes the job. This car was done quite some time ago, as nowadays I generally keep things a bit cleaner.

100_5502.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's another Pennsy X-29, this one is from Red Caboose. All of the kit's free-standing plastic grabirons and steps were discarded, the holes for them in the body shell were filled with styrene rod, then drilled to accept wire parts. The brake gear was also redone with brass wire, and the door was modified to slide. Same paint and lettering as the previous car. I got four or five of these as undecorated kits for under $10.00 each, but they normally retail around here for $25.00 to $30.00, as compared to the $4.00 I paid some years ago for the TM version. Old and battered TM X-29s show up occasionally at the LHS, on the used table, for two to four bucks, and I buy 'em if I see 'em.:thumb:

100_5503.jpg

Tom, I know that the L&NE used this style of car: were they only in the black & white scheme, or did the earlier version come in boxcar red with the "fried egg" herald?

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Continuing with more Pennsy and more Train Miniature, here's a Pennsylvania X-28. This started out as a standard X-29; the oversize doortacks were removed, then new ones built, long enough to accomodate the double doors. The doors themselves are from Athearn, cut apart, then re-assembled to fit the lower TM car. The cast grabirons and corner steps were shaved off, then replaced with metal parts, and the roofwalk thinned and new corner grabs fabricated. Trucks, once again, are Kadee Andrews, the closest that I could find, at the time, to the more correct Crown-type. Floquil paint and C-D-S lettering complete the job.

100_5504.jpg

Wayne