Here we go again "Freight car of the week"?

C

Catt

Ok ,we were trying to come up with new ideas to get the membership motivated to post more on the Gauge.One idea I came up with was a freight car of the week thread.

First we are going to do this by type of car.This can be in any scale from Z to prototype. The only rule here is that the pic is yours or was taken for you.

Since this was my idea I am going to start it with a boxcar.You can post on a daily basis but please only one pic a day.

rbox2.jpg

I like this nasty old Railbox car cause I did it all to it.:D

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
There are legendary stories of the Penn Central losing a box car for months. In that vein here are a couple of lost former NYC 50 footers in the middle of nowhere. hope some one finds them soon!

Attachments

• lostboxcars.jpg
    lostboxcars.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 320

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's another Accurail singlesheathed boxcar, this one a door-and-a-half car, courtesy of Standard Car Company (New England Rail Service). Lettering is from C-D-S. That's the Lowbanks Steam & Electric plant in the background.

TrainBrain167.jpg

Wayne

C

Catt

Day 3 OOPS! I missed a day :D

railbox2.jpg

Brand new ATLAS Trainman HO scale Railbox boxcar (of course)

I think ATLAS has a real winner with the Trainman series.Looking forward to the N scale cars and locos.:D

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
This CNR boxcar is from Athearn. I sawed off the roof, sanded 6" off the top of the sides, then reattached the roof. The ends were cut off and replaced with ones from Tichy, and the door tracks were reworked and new doors from McKean added. The roofwalk was built up from strip styrene, with scratchbuilt corner grabs, and all of the grabirons and ladder rungs were replaced with wire parts. A reasonably complete brake system was added, then the car was painted with Floquil paints, and lettered with C-D-S dry transfers. It provides a bit of height variety in a train, and was a fun project to do.

100_5492.jpg

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Catt, since we can post one freight car a day on this thread, should the name be changed to "freightcar of the day"?, and just keep the thread going? just a thought;) . :D -Deano View attachment 29415

Attachments

• 1oldbox.JPG
    1oldbox.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 147

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Wayne, nice shot of what sounds like a fun project.

Tom, cool boxcar!

to everyone, are you running metal wheels to weather them so nicely, or are these still plastic wheels? I've been thinking about switching over to metal wheels, to lower the rolling resistance

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks, guys. Here's a boxcar built from one of my favourite models with which to start, the old Train Miniature ARA boxcar. This one was built to match a photograph: the door is from Tichy, riding in reworked doortracks. The ends are the "reverse dreadnaught" style, with indentations rather than ribs. I made them from heavy-duty aluminum foil, shaped on a Tichy regular Dreadnaught end, then attached to the body, which had already had the stock ends removed, inside-out. The reworked sidesills are styrene, and the lower part of the sidesheets has been covered with Mylar foil, to simulate the repairs that many of these cars received when the original sidesheets rusted out. All grabirons and steps have been replaced with metal parts, and a new roofwalk built-up from strip styrene. The car has a fairly complete version of the prototype's brake rigging, and has been fitted with Tichy trucks having a combination leaf/coil spring arrangement. Floquil paint, as usual, and lettering by C-D-S. The chalk markings were copied from the photograph, and were done with white ink in a Rapidograph pen.

100_5495.jpg

By the way, I'm curious if we're going to do boxcars, of which most of us have tons, until we all run out, or are we going to run other car types similtaneously? I should be good for about a year, doing just boxcars, although a lot of my cars are similar except for the car numbers and the weathering.:)

Wayne