here it is

hobokid

thebull
so i havent posted any pics yet so heres some stuff i got. keep in mind im really really new to the hobby.please comment.thanks:thumb:
diggggs110.jpg

hobokid

thebull
i cant afford buildings right now so i tried to scratch build my own.and i didnt use any plans at all except ones in my head.*also note my use of arizona iced tea cans :)
diggggs072.jpg

hobokid

thebull
heres my first try at scenery, i used the crappy white styrofoam glued it into place, then used lightweight spackle to build up rocks and such, then painted with different colors then added some moss stuff i got from michaels. total cost 11 dollars
diggggs095.jpg

interurban

hobokid, I think it`s a great start , and if funds are low you are going to learn a lot more about scratch building.
I for one started out the same way.
Plywood base and let my mind run wild.

When you know what you want to model and have the tracks set. It will all come together.

Have you thought of cooky cutting some of the plywood for elevation or maybe a small stream.
Keep us posted.:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I'm a big fan of scratchbuilding with readily available materials. I made a cement plant from contact lens solution bottles. Looks like you have a pretty decent sized space there. One question: are you keeping that furnace easily accessible for repairs? Don't forget Murphy's Law! :) I'm also a bit of a safety guy and hope you use good ventilation with the spray paints around that thing too! Meanwhile keep up what you're doing. Experiments and practice with various techniques yields satisfying results.
Ralph

hobokid

thebull
thanks guys, and ralph the furnace is easily accessible for repairs, i made the area around the furnace come apart with about 6 screws. ive built and dismantled about 4 times just to make sure it would work and it does:)and if you look in the first pic on the right, thats the back of the basement and theres a door to out side there but its enclosed under my porch so i turned that spot into my painting area.:)

shaygetz

My first modeling tools for a long time were a straight edged razor blade, a scale ruler cut from a magazine and paint brushes made from paper matches. You're off to a great start.:thumb:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Love scratchbuilding. You get good at scratchbuilding, when you get the chance to do a kit, it'll be cake.But then, it won't be from straight from the box...It'll be kitbashed....Thats what usually happens....
Ralph beat me to it, but I was going to say that the furnace guy was going to love you.

Play-Doh

Im also a MRR on a very tight shoestring budget. having my layout out of commision until I graduate and buy a house, I have dedicated myself full time to scratchbuilding too. I like your watertower...I had to do the same and built my own out of a pear can and dowels and craft sticks.

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=21880

The whole thing cost me under $5 and I got pears out of the deal.

Scratchbuilding is the budgest MRR's saving grace....and not to mention relaxing...and a blast! Well done working around the furnace! Great progress, and yes, keep us posted!

Play-Doh