Here is a goofy idea...

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I know that there is a large contingent of Guage members in different geographical areas. Perhaps we could set up the occasional 3d meet?
I live in the Chicago area, and would love to get together with other members. Perhaps set up operating sessions, or just meet somewhere for coffee and swap ideas.
Maybe this could move to a larger scale thing down the road, where Guage members from all over gather for a "convention" of sorts?
Any one interested?

Matt

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
That is a good idea. We do just that here in the Phoenix area. There are a bunch of us that get usually find each other at a train swap meet (swap our cash for their junk), and frequently meet at one of our houses afterwards. There are five or six of us now, and there's a few more Gaugers in the area that we haven't met yet. We even get to meet some out-of-town Gaugers here that are visiting here at the time.

Just so we don't leave the wrong impression, these meetings are not like we are a "club", but are really just informal talks, usually about the progress we have made on or layouts, or about the latest purchase by someone. We might bring a special engine to run on the other guy's layout, but we're there for fun and to get ideas and yes, sometimes to get some advice or help.

If we get enough of these area get-togethers, we could set up a separate sub-forum for reporting activities and other announcements.

Good luck, and I hope the idea spreads.

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.

I live in Saint Paul and was thinking about doing something like that with modelers in my area. We have several good train museum, clubs, etc. in the area, if anybody in my area reads this, what do you think? Perhaps could lead to a bigger worldwide gauge meet.​

CCT70

Jun 25, 2003
Greg Elems and I did that last weekend. We call that a "Toga Party".

No, you DON'T want to see pics.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
I'll be in the Scottsdale AZ area (Sun City) the second week of January. Can anyone recommend any O-gauge clubs?

Thanks,
Kurt
The only one I know of is out at McCormick Railroad Park in Scotsdale. I don't know their name but I believe they meet on Sundays and Wednesdays (time unknown). It's not a very large layout but they have done what they can with the limited space they have. I can try and find out more if your interested.

kpolak

Nov 16, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Thanks TrainNut!
I found the site, saw the magic word...Playground! This should work out nicely! (3-yo) Paradise and Pacific Tinplate Club is the O-group there operating weekends. Scottsdale Live Steamers are there as well! Great Tip!
We usually stop at the Sun City HO group while we're visiting.
Kurt

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I'll be in the Scottsdale AZ area (Sun City) the second week of January. Can anyone recommend any O-gauge clubs?

Thanks,
Kurt
Aside from the one TrainNut mentioned in Scottsdale, there's always the one up at Adobe Mountain RR park. That's up in the northern part of the Valley.

I live in Surprise, not that far from Sun City, so let me know if you have some free time and maybe we can get together for a bit.

kpolak

Nov 16, 2007
Ann Arbor, MI
Aside from the one TrainNut mentioned in Scottsdale, there's always the one up at Adobe Mountain RR park. That's up in the northern part of the Valley.

I live in Surprise, not that far from Sun City, so let me know if you have some free time and maybe we can get together for a bit.

Boy you are close! I'll see what I can do...Travelling with Bride and 2-little ones for Father's 75th Birthday. I'll give you a heads up closer to travel dates. We'll be in town Wed the 9th -Tuesday the 15. Any days/times work better for you?
Kurt

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
A Chicagoland get-together would last about a week with all the railroad sites in town. Even then, you wouldn't get to see half of them.

~BS