Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
20.jpg

145647W_sm.gif

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Sadly to say I be right where that little red square dot is in Louisiana. If it's anything like Katrina it'll be spitting out tornados left and right. This being a major tornado area anyway we see more of them than we can shake a stick at but this is different. I'm wondering if I can get insurance on my trains sense it's not covered under home insurance. We are packed and ready to run if we have to but sadly I have to leave my trains behind if we do.

One of my sisters that lives in Houston is on her way out now headed west for her step parents winter home somewhere between San Antonio and EL Paso. Hopefully we won't have to abandon ship. I'd hate to loose all my rolling stock and motive power along with a bunch of new stuff I just bought at a show this past weekend. The way it look's we'll be up for two days or so until it pass's to keep a close watch. I'm headed out the door now to go tighten the mobile home tie downs and straps and tie down anything else that may be loose or can be blown away as my house sits on top of the highest point in Stonewall. I'm loading up everything of important documents plus all three computer towers only along with the little 4 legged people.

Attachments

• HnLA.jpg
    HnLA.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 16

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Rita

Better batten down, KCS. I'm spitting distance south of Tyler Tx. For a while it was going to come right over the top of me, but now they say further east, so probably halfway between us. Tomorrow will sure be busy, tying down and storing.

Good Luck
Lynn

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Geeze, this has got to be one bad moma, and on top of Katrina. I don't know how you guys are going to handle it, but let's hope and pray that she loses steam before she hits land.

Anybody in her path, take care of yourself and your family, we wish you all the best.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Boy, they sure were right when they said that this year was probably going to be a bad hurricane year. I hope there is no legitimacy in the old wives tale that says that when there is a bad hurricane summer, there's going to be a bad winter.

I just hope the recovery will go smoother this time around and that no one gets hurt.

So long to the "Cajun Riviara".

Get ready for higher gas prices.

The oilfield is going to take a severe beating from this one. The area between Port o'conner TX and Morgan City LA is loaded with offshore platforms. Not to mention, between Houston, Beaumont, Port Arthur and Lake Charles LA, there are a lot of refineries and chemical plants.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Thanx guy's. I just finished up with my inspection and found 4 loose tie-downs under the house so I got under there and took care of it. This was very important do to our house sits pretty high off the ground and on a slope so a normal storm gives it a good rockin' but never faced something like this. Shaygetz, if you read this THANK YOU! You gave me a great idea on the Katrina thread "the trains are packed in the sea trunk. Ya'll wonder why I use that diorama a lot?" Although I do believe we won't get flooded do to being on top of a hill but however the fact of a tornado so I stopped and thought a minute...............

My old toy trunk for when I was little! It's a wood reinforced box that my granddad built for me a few months before I was born to store my toys in as I grew up. I still have it and it's in my closet in good condition. I'll just clean out the things I have stored in it then reinforce it with wood screws sense it was built with finishing nails. It has a hinged top and I can pack my trains in it with plenty of padding so if they get picked up and tossed around it should help save my trains. Perfect I'll do that in the morning. :thumb: I'll just drop it off the top of the house in the morning after I'm done to make sure it'll hold. :D Na but I will water proof it to make sure nothing gets wet. Off the subject a bit but Lynn, you ever go to the Longview, Temple, and/or show's around Arlington, TX.?

We do have a show coming up over around Arlington somewhere which the guys call the Lockheed show. This will be my first trip to that one and is on the 18-19th I believe which is about 2 weeks or so from now. I'll have to get more info on it. If you've been to the Longview show then I'm sure you've heard of the Ark-La-Tex Modular Club.

Well that's all for now until tomorrow. Now I'm off to catch some :sleeping:

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Rita

I make about every show at Longview. Matter of fact, I always look for the ARk-LA-TEX layout.

Still looks like Rita is headed between us, but seems to be turning more Shreveport way. Keep your head down and eyes closed.

Lynn

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
I'm about 50 miles north of the DFW area. We're expecting lots of rain and 40-50 mph winds when it finally stalls out. I'm already in "tornado alley" and this type of weather is not all that unusual; but it is supposed to last a few days (that's unusual), when it stalls out just east of here, over near charles and lynn. I'm actually looking forward to the rain since we've had a prolonged drought here in north central Texas. I don't expect the 20"-25" that CNN has been predicting. probably 12" or so which I can bear without difficulty, provided it doesn't all fall at once.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
We evacuated New Orleans on August 26 to Katy, TX, just west of houston. We've been lucky twice. Our home in New Orleans didn't get much damage, and here in Katy we got pretty lucky. Lotta wind, no rain, and no damage in the area.

Yay.

santafewillie

Aug 4, 2002
era tx
Visit site
Well Rita turned northeast and ended up missing me completely. The closest the rain got was about 45 miles east. We did finally cool off for at least a day. Hope Lynn and Charles made it through OK since it appears that they got lots of rain.

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
Well, we made it threw ok and I'm glad I did all that work under the house before it hit. We have taken on some damage but havn't gotten around to see what supply's we will need. I woke up at 6am this morning to watch the tail come over and leave us. The eye hit us sometime between 1:30 and 3:00 PM and that was something else. I dressed out in rain gear and stood outside to watch it come over and the hummingbirds were having a blast at in the front yard because they didn't have to fight any bee's. As the eye came over there was a breif shot of sun light and then came the back of the eye wall that slammed us hard and made the house rock from the high winds. We lost power a 9am yesterday morning and it just came back on a few minutes ago. We opened the windows wen ever it wasn't raining because it was getting hot and made a night's sleep missrable. Only tree close to the house that we seen down was across the street in the grave yard which was a pine tree about 175 feet tall maybe a little more that up rooted and crushed a fence. Down the road were a few downed power lines and tree's resting on standing wires. Went to the truck stop this morning to pick up my step dad and that place is packed with FEMA trucks. Not one parking spot in the area even for the cars so we brought the truck to a truck stop a little closer to home from I-20 to HWY 171 in Stonewall. Well off off the get started on cleaning up the yard and fixing things. Hope everyone who was in it is ok. More to come.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
Rita

Hey KCS, glad to hear you made it thru OK. All I got was about 1 1/2 inches of rain. Wind blew like crazy but I didn't have any big limbs break. I was thinking of you all the time it was moving a little east of us. Good luck on your cleanup that you find no hidden damage.

Lynn

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
I climbed up under the house and found a tie down that snapped so sometime in the next week or so I'll have to go get a new one. Skirting is gonna have to be taken all the way off the back side of the house and realined but I broke the shovel so I'll have to get another one so I can dig up the ground and reset the skirting all the way around the house for it to be strait again. Took a break and went back out and worked on my golf swing a bit then went to get the balls I hit and found a tree down at the back of the lot that can't be seen untill you go back there because of the brush I haven't been able to get cut down do to chiggers being real bad so that'll have to wait until winter hit before I can work on it but tomorrow I'll have to chain and bind the tree to another tree so I can cut it up sense it's about 13" in dia.. Boy am I glad I have a lot of heavy duty chains and binders that was used to tie down heavy equipment on trucks. I would have posted this afternoon but the power went back out about 1pm and came back on about 3 hours ago.