Help

pupparo

Jul 12, 2001
Jensen Beach Fl USA
Visit site
Some where a long time ago I seen how to remove paint from store bought rolling stock.
Now that I need the info I can find it again.
It might have been in model railroad mag or in this forum.
Can any body help me find this?
I think one method was a freezer thing and another was soaking it some thing.
Joe:confused:

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Iv'e always soaked it in brake fluid for a couple hours then scrubed gently with a med. stiff brush under running lukewarm water. Don't worry brake fluid dissolves in water and won't hurt your plumbing. Iv'e used this with every plastic known to man and have not had problems, however I do not let it soak overnight. :)

MagicMan_841

May 10, 2003
Quebec City, Qc
www23.brinkster.com
I use 99.5% alcohol. You won't find that in a pharmacy. I had my dad order it for me ( he's in the chemical industry ).

I guess you could find it in a place where they specialize in chemicals.

It doesn't work on every type of paint. I had it remove paint on a model that soaked for 5 minutes. One car had to soak for a week, and another's paint never did go away.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Ok, so it's not Everclear - From the webtender.com site:

Everclear is a brand of pure grain alcohol, available in 190 proof (95%) and a less common 151 proof (75.5%) variant. It is produced by the David Sherman Corporation.

Because of its strength it is illegal in many US states, and probably not available outside USA (at least not the 190 proof variant). If Everclear is not sold where you live, plain vodka can be used instead (Everclear is basically a strong form of vodka).

Shots of Everclear can be done, although it is ill advised.

Warning: Can be lethal when substituted for water in Jello shooters.

Picture

Don't ask how I know of this! ;)