Help!?

Stithian

Hi all, It's been a long time since I logged on and I just reacently started the plans for my lay out, does any one have tips for me?

Nomad

Hello Stithian:wave:,the first tip I would give would be to know exactly what you want the layout to do. I mean, if you want to watch trains go around and around and you build a point to point, you are going to be disapointed. And if this is your first layout keep it fairly simple to begin with so that your are not overwhelmed.:)

Loren

Jim Krause

I might add to grewsomes comment about being "overwhelmed". Don't get overwhelmed financially. Do a simple layout initially. Research before spending money. Decide what era of railroading you want to model. How much detail do you want? Are you a dedicated modeler or do you want ready made, ready to run equipment? Just some preliminary thoughts. Welcome aboard.

Pooh Bah
Stithian:
Look up the Givens and Druthers thread -- lot of questions to get you thinking about what you want.
Otherwise, take it easy and don't get uptight. It's your layout so nothing is "wrong". Almost anything can be undone.

N

nachoman

it has already been said, but... START SMALL! It is easy to get overwhelmed and discouraged in this hobby. I think many beginners start too big and then get burnt out when stuff doesn't work out or takes longer than they anticipated.

Kevin

nkp174

Get yourself a copy of 101 track plans. Also get a scenery book...as it is important to get an idea of scenery before building benchwork and laying all the track.

I agree with the suggestions to start small. John Allen started off with a layout that was around 20 sq ft...which is like 2 sq meters...and it grew to 900 sq ft...90sq meters. Here's a link in case you've never heard of him before...Gorre and Daphetid Railroad - The Slides - Set_01

His layout is a great lesson in that starting offer modest can end up being wonderful! Starting off with some small modules/dioramas can be very helpful too...as you can gain more experience from working on a smaller, cheaper "layout"

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Take everything in your stride. Don't rush anything, because rushing means mistakes.

Do it in sections so that you won't get bored of just building or just wiring, etc.