Help!

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
nkp, I tried that on one, didn't get all the lettering off so I'm going to try stripping them on the next ones.

Russ for the time being the track the kids will run is DC. I got 2 Athearn F7's with extra shells at the train show yesterday for $20....also scored a NIB Atlas DCC equipped BN GP38 for $50!!!!!

I think I will go over to DCC for the entire system in the spring so I will check out the Bachmanns.

Thanks

Rick

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Your Athearn F7s (blue-box, I presume?) can be converted to DCC pretty easily.. All you need to do grab a Digitrax decoder with the Athearn motor clips: DH123AT or DH163AT. No-solder installation.

Hope this helps!

P.S. Good deal on the Atlas GP38. Atlases sure run nice. Now all you need to do is look for the Atlas S-1s in U.S. Army paint! :D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Rick, you may eventually have a problem with the pick up on the Athearn drive. They use steel sliding or rubbing on brass for electrical pickup and continuity to the motor from the track, and the steel rusts, and/or just makes a bad connection. www.trainweb.org/ocmr/ I originally tried to link directly to Jim Fuhrman's web site, but the link didn't work. Jim has a tutorial on his site on how to tune up Athearn and make a 5 wire soldered connections to eliminate electrical problems with the Athearn drive. You can link to Jim's site from the OCMR home page. Scroll down the page to "Links To Member Pages" Jim's page is the first one on the list. I think you will find some useful info here that you may want to save for possible future needs.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
My new Atlas, GP38!!!
Picture190.jpg

Picture189.jpg

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Sweet!

Geeps are just awesome for doing anything on a small or medium-sized pike. I know you will enjoy that GP38 for a long time to come, especially since it's an Atlas and it runs like a swiss watch.

You really should think about getting a GP40-2 and modify/paint it yourself in that red U.S. Army paint scheme. :thumb:

Looks like you got the BN GP38 with no engine number so you can apply your own. Cool!

tjohn

Nov 28, 2006
Montana
The Micro Engineering flex track looks very realistic. If you use the AMI roadbed, it is self adhisive on both sides, so drilling or nails are not required. All you would need is a good saw and a gauge for what ever size radius of curves you want. The real nice thing about is the ballist sticks to the roadbed without having to use cement

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Tom, I'm cutting my teeth painting the F7s for my grand kids.....and yes a GP40 is in my future! I picked up a decoder for my Proto 1000 GP7 this morning.....that may get converted to the Army colors when I think I'm up to that challenge.

Thanks Matt, I'm really pleased with it!

John I will look into that!

Rick

fseva

Nov 27, 2006
AMI Roadbed

tjohn said:
The real nice thing about is the ballist sticks to the roadbed without having to use cement
Yeah, and so does everything else... like dust and dirt! I'll never use the product again. I don't mind a few track nails to hold the track in place while the ballast glue dries. You can always remove them, if you desire. :wave:

tjohn

Nov 28, 2006
Montana
fseva said:
Yeah, and so does everything else... like dust and dirt! I'll never use the product again. I don't mind a few track nails to hold the track in place while the ballast glue dries. You can always remove them, if you desire. :wave:
not if you keep it covered until your ready for your ballist

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Good points about the roadbed, thanks.

Matt, I'm really thinking about it. The Army doesn't run it's engines much and they have a rebuild schedule like everything else. Right before I departed FT Knox in 91 they got one of their switchers back from rebuild...it was pretty old. At the time the Armor school was there along with the 194th Armor Bde, the engines didn't see much action. Some of the larger Division sized bases have larger, newer engines like the GP38.

Rick

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Progress!

Changed my bench work today due to suggestions here.
Picture022.jpg

The large part is 4x8 and the small is 30"x8'
Picture024.jpg

the bridges are 34 1/2"x18".

I'm going to be changing over to cork roadbed and flex track.

I could really use some help with the track planning.

Thanks

Rick