Help!

And if a yardstick isn't long enough (or too long or too cumbersome), you can always use a pre-measured length of string and tie the pencil at the end. :thumb:

Homemade solutions ARE best!

oldtanker

Thanks Tom, just got back from the hardware store where they laughed at me for asking for a wooden yardstick.....something about showing your age.....

Rick

oldtanker

Russ I kinda figured that myself, center to center holes for pivot and pincel one could be done in 18" 22" and so on.

Thanks

Rick

Illus

Go to a JoAnns or Micheals, or any big craft/material store, they have wooden yadrsticks, I got one for my wife not too long ago. She uses it for sewing...

Russ Bellinis

Rick, I didn't mean to insult you or cast aspersions on your intelligence regarding getting a board if a yard stick isn't available. Sometimes my brain engages and my fingers start typing without thinking about how simple & obvious something i'm suggesting really is.

fseva

oldtanker said:
yea my wife explained that to me last night....after she rapped my fingers with a ruler for being rude...
Well, look at it this way... at least she didn't use that new yardstick! Ouch! That could hurt! And think of the reach! sign1

nkp174

Rick, I recommend browsing a copy of Linn Wescott's 101 track plans. Linn was (or is?) probably the best model railroad planner. He typically suggests using single track mains to double track because it makes the railroad seem larger and, if you add passing sidings, running your trains more fun. But! since you are setting it up for your grandkids to run it too, a race track might be best.

When I was a kid, I always seemed to think that having the train go somewhere was extra cool...you could keep the powerloc track around for when they want a simple oval, but build something slightly more elaborate...and still kid friendly...on your layout. LGB around the couch was one of my favorites in kindergarten.

Fseva, I used thick OSB board and I haven't had a problem with it yet.

Jim Krause

Here are a couple of articles that may help you. Model Railroader magazine. September 2006, page 66. Layout Planning Fundamentals. This is the ruler, compass and graph paper approach. No computer involved.
Model Railroader magazine, August 2006. Build an Adjustable Liftout, Page 28.
Hobby shops sometimes have back issues available.
By the way, I spent my Army time at Camp(nowFort) Irwin) That was back in the M48 era.

Oop's! Just noticed that your wife used the ruler on you. Hope she didn't break it. You'll need it for layout planning.

Illus

oldtanker said:
fseva, yea my wife explained that to me last night....after she rapped my fingers with a ruler for being rude....

Rick

There was no insult there, I got your meaning. But instead of the yardstick, she has one of those mini baseball bats she uses on me when I get out of line...:)

fseva

Track Planning

Rick,

Remember, you've already chosen your table. So, you're going to be restricted to what can fit on it. You can start with a book on the subject, and I recommend "The Classic Layout Designs of John Armstrong". No sense listening to anyone but the master of layout design!

Or, you can invest in some graph paper and an HO scale template by CTT, Inc., which is helpful when drawing a track plan - it provides all of the curves and turnout diagrams you will need, and because it's clear plastic with slots for these, it allows you to draw them right on your graph paper.

dsfraser

Another very good book is "Track Planning for Realistic Operations" by John Armstrong, also available from Kalmbach. Certainly the best money that I ever spent . . .

oldtanker

Jim I'll look at the train show this weekend.

I served on 48A5s, 60A1s, A1RISE and A3s, M1s and M1A1s at Ft Riley(3 times), Ft Bliss, Ft Knox (taught Armor tactics there to new Lt's), Germany(3 times) and Korea. Ft Irwin is now the National Training Center and has OPFOR guys there who you fight in the maneuver box with MILES (laser tag). I retired out of Ft Riley, was a PSG in 1/4 CAV.

Illus, the wife wants to know if the bat works????

I think I may go the template route, thanks fseva!

dsfraser, I'll check the train show for books too.

Rick