Help!!!!!

flare_951

Aug 1, 2005
SB, MN
:confused: I have little model RR experiance and what I have is all HO :(. I really don't have room for my dream layout, so I did my " :rolleyes:Homework:rolleyes: " and found out about N and Z. I want to know any tips, tricks and prices for N/Z.

Thanks for any replies,
Flare_951

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Flare...

Welcome to The Gauge!

Z scale is quite expensive compared with N and especially HO. N/Z are comparible when considering the space you need for a layout (N is 1:160, and Z is only a bit smaller at 1:220).

I would take some time to read through the N/Z forum and see what others have to say. We've had this debate/discussion often... :D

Andrew

PS - please stop calling all your posts "Help!!!!" - you are more likely to get a response if you put your subject in the title, e.g. "Tell me about N vs Z scale" ;)

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Another consideration would be eyesight and dexterity. If repairing antique watches (or something similar) is something you can do, Z wouldn't be a problem. However if you have trouble putting the lid back on the catsup bottle (like me) I wouldn't attempt it. :D :D :D :D

jhoban

Jun 18, 2005
I just made the disicion to go with N scale myself. I just got back into the hobby and asked the same thing you did. I cant say anything about Z, other than what I have seen is quite expensive. As for comparing HO to N, N scale is slightly cheaper. The catch though is that with N scale, you can and will fit more stuff into a smaller area, making the cost more.

So yes, I find N scale cheaper initially, but if you are not careful, you will end up spending alot more than planned.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I went through the same delema a few years ago. I bought some HO, then N sets and a few kits, and decided that my eyes and fingers were still good enough to work in N scale, and so I could get the layout I wanted in a lot less space. Costwise, I see little difference in N scale vs. HO in rolling stock and locos, but structures tend to be cheaper. And obviously, you use less scenic material, and track and roadbed becomes a lot cheaper per protoype foot.

Jeremy m

Aug 4, 2005
I have been in N scale for about 30 years now. It just keeps on getting better. Items to think about. 1. DCC or block system 2. Get a good set to start with. (Kato or Atlas) 3. Get good track. (Kato) After some time in the n scale you may want to hand lay your track. 4. most of all have fun with your railroad.