Help with wiring up a yard

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Chief puts out 5 amps. Zephyr puts out 2.5 amps. You'll only need a booster if you want to run more than 5 locos at once, assuming common production locos only a few years old. (most draw less than .5 amp) Lighted passenger cars will use a bit, but you'll know if you're exceeding the capacity of the unit and then you can divide the layout and add a booster. I don't know too much about the Zephyr, it has the same readback Chief has and Empire Builder lacks. Add a DT300 or 400 (100 off ebay would be a good deal) and you have walkaround. Add a few throttle jacks and you're set. The infared option works well and is much cheaper than radio. Can't help with signalling, unless Kris drives out from Long Island to set it up for me. :D

Gary

robt46

Nov 21, 2004
Kriss thanks for the imput on the auto reverse module. Sounds like the way to go. I'll work that into my budget. I don't have a reversing loop on my plan but since you said that I'm giving that some thought. Gary, I was thinking of the DT300 I don't think I'd want the radio. This layout is changing and changing. Is'nt it great. This may take a little longer than I thought. Watch out I've been looking at the CTI website!!! Thanks again Robt.