Help With Walthers Steel Mill

csiguy

Jun 4, 2007
leechburg,pa.
Hi All

About Two Years Ago I Bought The Walthers Blast Furnace In Ho Scale. After Looking At It For Several Months I Think Im Gonna Finally Try And Build It. It Looks Very Challenging And Since I Am Very New To The Hobby I Was Wondering If Anyone Has Built This Kit Before And Do You Have Any Suggestions. Im Modeling The Stell Industry And This Is My First Layout. So Ill Take All The Help I Can. Thanks Very Much For The Help.

Todd

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
My suggestion, do not capitalize each word. Thats reserved for titles.

Now on topic, Josh (Trucklover) built an N scale one, I'm sure he can be of assistance.

Yup, If I member corrcet, Mine took me about 33 hours or so to complete. I did mine in N scale and boy this was the biggest and most complex structure that I have ever and it was the N scale one, the HO one should be just about the same if not a lil easyer as the parts and pieces are about twice as big as N scale. The N scale Blast Furnace is bigger then any of the buildings that I have in HO scale just to give you an idea of just how MASSIVE this structure will be in HO scale.

Also, PAINT AS YOU GO, you will thank me and yourself for doing this. It is much EASYER to paint the parts as you go rather then paint the whole thing when your done. I am so glad that I painted as I built, makes the building process a bit slower but makes it 100 times easyer in the long run and well worth the extra time. Painting as you go also gives the parts that were previously assembled a lil more drying time to set better.

And make sure you are following and reading the instructions VERY WELL. Dont just read the instructions once as your building in that step, go back and read it a few times before you glue anything together. Also test fit the pieces and trim away any flash, just make sure the pieces fit together well before any glue is applied. I messed up a few times because I didnt test fit and make sure that piece really went in the spot that I had just glued it into. Its not easy nor is it fun when you mess up and you realize it 20 mins later after it has already pretty much dried. Lucky this building is so big that my small mess-ups cant really be noticed or seen without close inspection.

You can see my thread by clicking the link in my signature thats tittled Blast Furnace under the Building the Walthers N scale section/line in my signature.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask away and I or someone else will do the best we can to answer. This is just a few of the main things I could think of right now as far as advise goes for building this truely AMAZING structure

Cant wait to see some pics of your Blast Furnace and Steel Mill

PWRR-2207

Rogue Islander
Oct 3, 2007
Rhode Island, USA
Tips for Walther's Kits in General

From previous experience with Walther's kits in general:

- Before you start cutting the plastic nibs holding the pieces in the form, take all the forms over to the tub (or a large sink) and wash them with barely warm water and dish detergent. 'Dish detergent ' because it is less likely than most soaps to leave 'protective layers for humans' that most glue and paint find repugnant.

Let them air dry. (I thread the forms onto some white twine and hang them, sometimes using cloths pins to keep them separated.)

Washing them first removes any residue resin from the manufacturing process so that glue and paint stick to the part much better.

- After you read a line of instructions, look at the drawing and then look at the drawing again, especially around the areas they refer to in the text. I have had a few instances where the instructions do not mention part numbers because they 'assume' you can see them on the picture.

- Yes, everyone warns you 'read all the instructions first before starting' but since Walther's often offers alternative ways of constructing assemblies, you really need to pick a path to what you want for an end product before you start gluing and painting.