Help with the Remote Snap Switch RH N/S HO

Olchesieluver

I just pulled my old model train set out from when I was a kid and found the Remote Snap Switch RH N/S HO. I have everything to make it work, except the instructions. I hope someone out there can help me with the problem because I'd really like to get it up and running again. I just need the instructions "on the backside of the package" and I'll be all good, or at least a wlaktrhough. Thanks!

L

lester perry

WELCOME:wave: :wave: :)

As Jim said we need more info. Look for manufacturer name on it somewhere. Or try to describe what you have. Such as does it have wires perminatly attached to machine or terminals ( screws). What does the controle look like a push button or a lever
Les.

phoneguy

On the control set the 2 screws on the end go to power. If you have 2 lugs on one end this is where other controlers connect; if not there were lugs supplied with the control to add more for other turnouts. The center screw; where you see 3 screws; is the common and goes to the center screw of the turnout motor. The other 2 connect to the other 2 screws at the turnout. I wire most of mine so that when switch is left and the turnout is straight is normal. If turnout goes right then reverse outside 2 wires at switch or turnout; not both ends.

Also, and very important, once it is connected to power, when you slide the switch and press it, make sure you DO NOT, repeat DO NOT hold the button down. It will burn out the coil. Just press it momentarily is all that is necessary.

Lynn

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Make sure it doesn't get stuck either, or that you don't lean anything on it. I have a switch motor from a snap swith where the coil literaly melted its way out of its plastic caseing. I thought something smelled funny, but i didn't realize what it was until a day later, when miraculously the switch still worked, although only in one direction. thank fully i shut down power to the layout after i left the day before. the button was stuck, and if i forgot to turn the power off, it could have lit my layout ( not to mention my house) on fire.

If you ever smell ozone, or something that smells like gas or oil. turn the power off. thats the plastic melting!

chris

L

lester perry

All good info & advice. I use a Train Tronics switch power unit which prevents the burnout Lynn & Chris are speaking about. Probably not practicle for you as you are just getting started but something to keep in mind for the future. It costs about $40. For now just be careful that you don't lean on it or lay something on it. And always turn of the power when leaving train.
Les

brakie

It would be best to replace those sharp snap switches with Atlas #4 or #6 switches..By doing this you will be able to use longer engines and cars.

Olchesieluver

Thanks guys, you've all been a big help. I got it to work. But, as was stated, if it stays pushed, it'll melt, and I accidentally did that, got it to work one way, but I guess I just need to upgrade, thanks again guys, the help, helped!:thumb:

L

lester perry

You can get just the switch machine at local hobby shop if you so desire. I suggest gettin away from snap switches though as brakie said. I myself prefer Peco switch's. They are a little more expensive but much better quality in my opinion, for what ever that is worth.

Les