help with re coloring model

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by yaniv, Sep 18, 2008.

1. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

hi to all

last week i scan some of my models

i like to recolor tham in photoshop but realy dont know how to do it in good way with saving the panel line and so

any pne have and info or tutorial about how i recolor model in good and deteling way?

i like for exempel to re color halinski f16c into israeli colors

or the dophin from modelart into israeli ATALEF
  2. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Yaniv,

If you are familiar with Photoshop, I would recommend creating a new layer for each color you use. This way you can manipulate each area separately, giving you more options for the graphics and maintaining cleaner lines.
  3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

i know pohtoshop only the basic stuf :(

i look for some good info about how to start recolor a model
  4. y66

y66 New Member

5. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

thanks man i will tack a look on it :)
  6. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

There were a few good articles in the old Cardmodels.net article section - including one (not saying it was that good) that I did in GIMP. Some of the tools would look different, but the principles are the same. Don't know if anyone saved copies of those articles. I thought I did, but am having trouble finding them (yes I've checked with wayback...).

Ryan
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Ryan,
    I still have access to those old sections and I don't see your article on GIMP. I also verified its not in the downloads area where I would have moved it to when we implimented that. I will keep searching though just to make sure... Are you sure you uploaded it?
    Chris
  8. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

It wasn't an upload - there used to be a feature like an online document editor and I did at least two articles there.

Ryan
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

The WIKI!!! Its back ya know - at the top :) I will look though it a bit... If its not there,I can make sure it didnt get lost in the translation, I have access to the history.
    Chris
  10. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Sorry Chris but it's not in the Wiki. It used to be in the "Knowledge Base" area. I think I've found most of what I did. Will see about posting them here.

Ryan
  11. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Check the downloads under tutorials. I have two further installments that I don't know if they ever got posted or not. Will have to see about it.

Ryan
  12. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

Yaniv - one other thing to think about is the direction I think I'm headed with all redraws. Open the file (PDF, PNG, or JPG) in Inkscape and either modify the vectors (A lot of the designers are using vector now) or use the Trace BMP function (works with JPG and PNG as well). Then you can keep panel lines and discard the rest and either do your modifications in Inkscape, or export a PNG and modify it with Photoshop or Gimp.

Ryan
  13. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

approved! and thanks for that great tip!
    Chris
  14. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

well i tray all the stuff here but no result :(

i tray to recolor the halinski f16c intu a israeli one but i found that its realy dificult to do

i will tray to make the maly cobra into israeli and see whats heppen
  15. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

16. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Make it B&W, then color

Yaniv,

I use The Gimp (much like photoshop). It has a number of color transformation tools. One, called Threshold, I find particularly useful for recoloring models. Open an image, go to Tools/Color Tools/Threshold. The image is modified so that any color below the threshold goes to black, and any color above the threshold goes to white.

Here's a sample using one of Fiddler's Greens freebie's. Converting this from color to black and white as shown here took only a few seconds. You can adjust the threshold to preserve more detail, or less detail, or apply the operation to selected areas of the image to make it even more effective.

From there, you just pick your colors and use a fill tool to paint them in, then add weathering or whatever else.

Good luck,

SJ

Attached Files:

17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thats very cool!
    Chris